Assistant Editor - Penguin Workshop
Penguin Random House, New York, NY
Home of the world’s best books.
Assistant Editor – Penguin Workshop
Penguin Workshop is looking for an assistant editor with a passion for pop culture and commercial, design-forward publishing to work with the Senior Editor and Editorial Director across a range of fiction and non-fiction formats including graphic novels, picture books, board books, and illustrated novels. In addition to book editing, this is a support role encompassing the entire publishing process from conception through to publication and beyond.
At Penguin Workshop, our mission is to make unique and exciting books for every kind of reader, from birth through early teen. To learn more, please visit our Instagram.
* Edits approximately 10-15 titles per year
* Evaluates manuscripts and book proposals
* Manages relationships with agents and authors
* Provides administrative and creative support for the Senior Editor
* Works with Editorial Director and Senior Editor to develop original publishing ideas
* Tracks industry trends in pop culture, publishing, and the children’s retail market, to create commercial books
* Works with Finance and Contracts departments to create P&Ls
* Writes front and back cover copy as well as online copy
* Liaises with production, design, and managing editorial departments
* 1-2 years’ experience in children’s books
* Graphic novel experience highly recommended
* Established agent and author relationships
* Strong negotiation skills
* Ability to work in a high-volume, deadline driven environment
* Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage and track several projects simultaneously through to the end
* Ability to demonstrate attention to detail
* Exceptional writing and copywriting skills
Please apply using our online application process, and please include your resume and cover letter.
About Penguin Random House
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution.