VP, Commercial Finance & Operations - DK US
Penguin Random House, New York, NY
Home of the world’s best books.
We believe in the power of discovery. That’s why we publish and create books that explore ideas and nurture curiosity about the world we live in. With almost 50 years of publishing experience, and selling to every corner of the globe in over 60 languages, DK is truly global and part of Penguin Random House, the world’s largest book publisher.
We have teams in London, New York, Indianapolis, Delhi, Melbourne, Munich, Madrid, Beijing, and Jiangmen.
We’re on a mission to create readers and engage curious minds across the world, and we’re looking for a VP, Finance & Operations in our US team.
As an active member of the DK US executive team, you will be responsible for the financial and operational management of DK operations based in New York City. Reporting into, and working closely with, the co-CEO of DK based in London, you’ll lead a team across varying departments across the USA.
The role includes three main areas of responsibility: Commercial Finance, Inventory Management and Publishing Operations, so you’ll be someone who can focus on a variety of responsibilities across different geographies in a highly matrixed environment!
You will have all the leadership and business acumen to maximise contribution at a strategic and operational level, and be at ease building and maintaining relationships across multiple countries. This will be both virtually and in-person, determined by business need.
Key responsibilities and deliverables:
* Act as a key business partner to other members of the North American executive team including: VP Sales, VP Marketing & Publicity and VP & Publisher, Alpha. In addition, will build strong relationships with other relevant members of the DK Board and DK Global Executive committee.
* As the lead commercial, financial and operational person within DK US, partner and collaborate on the development and implementation of US specific business strategies. These strategies will drive growth and efficiencies while helping drive profitability.
* Direct oversight of the financials of the territory including but not limited to monthly management accounts, key account margins, analysis in regard to returns and inventory, provisions, frontlist/backlist planning, account insights, revenue analysis.
* Manage monthly revenue forecasts as well as the annual budget and quarterly reforecasts.
* Ensure optimum cost control and carry overall responsibility for inventory management and the print decision process, continuously improving the process and the tools used for print decisions.
* Create models for analysing and solving new and unique business problems and/or opportunities as needed as well as addressing efficiencies in order to assist in exploring new business opportunities to drive existing client profitability e.g. subrights, custom, digital content.
* Overall responsibility for backend publishing operation processes, continuously improving said processes.
* Continue to create the conditions to enable a diverse, inclusive, high-performing and engaged team, committed to achieving the US strategy and goals.
We’d love to hear from you if you have:
* At least 5 years previous experience in a commercial finance role including business modelling
* A minimum of 3+ years of demonstrable experience in building, managing and motivating a team for high performance
* Understanding of book publishing is ideal as you’ll be at the heart of the business, where finance meets inventory meets operations
* Experience working with and influencing multiple teams using data, analytics and managerial skillset
* Ability to understand financial and operational aspects of a large and multifunctional company
* Built a broad range of experiences and skillsets within finance, operations and personnel management, or equivalent, where you can flex your working style to influence and adapt to your audience
* An ability to make it into our NYC office at least once a week and also travel to London, UK, once or twice a year
* Experience in operations or inventory management capacity is a plus
This is a fantastic opportunity, especially if you’re looking for a role that will give you a broad range of exposure to the financial and operational workings of a multifunctional and highly successful business.
To be considered, please apply using our online application process, and please include your resume and cover letter.
The salary range for this position is $165,000 - $175,000.
About Penguin Random House
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution.
Want to learn more about Penguin Random House? Visit Penguin Random House's website.
Home of the world’s best books.