Senior Editor, Waterbrook
Penguin Random House, Colorado Springs, CO
Home of the world’s best books.
The ideal candidate has a passion for high-quality non-fiction books and a deep knowledge of the Christian publishing space. The team’s award-winning and bestselling authors include Jennie Allen, John Mark Comer, Latasha Morrison, Tim Tebow, Michael Todd, and Rich Villodas.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
* Acquires and develops new book projects
* Reads and evaluates manuscripts and proposals; recommends proposals for acquisition
* In coordination with the editorial director, assesses potential value of projects, crafts P&Ls, formulates acquisitions requests
* Works with authors on concepts, outlines, and revisions of manuscripts, including substantive and line edits
* Manages select repackaging projects to maintain backlist
* Consults with the art, production, and managing editorial departments on schedule, design, and packaging of books
* Develops and maintains author, agent, and publisher contacts and engages in developmental work with authors
* Tracks manuscripts through all stages of editing, design, and production
* Consults with authors on style, content, and format changes
* Prepares supplemental material as needed, including endorsement requests and final endorsement copy, early reading samples and other materials as requested for the sales force, along with study guide questions and value-add materials
* Prepares title information sheets; processes and edits copypacks (cover and marketing copy)
* Keeps abreast of trends and competitive titles
* Handles daily correspondence, office work, phones, attends required meetings
* Handles special projects as assigned and works collaboratively with the larger team
* Performs other related duties, administrative tasks, support functions as needed
* A minimum of 7-10 years editorial experience
* Comprehensive familiarity with the Christian publishing market
* Proven substantive and line editing skills
* Excellent communication skills, verbal and written
* Strong interpersonal skills
* Robust organizational skills; ability to attend to detail
* Ability to work independently, under minimal supervision
* Ability to work closely with authors
* Ability to deal with difficult people
The salary range for this position will be between $72,000 and $86,000.
About Penguin Random House
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution.