Managing Editorial Assistant - Vintage Books & Anchor Books (Open to Remote)
Penguin Random House, New York, NY
Home of the world’s best books.
The Assistant will handle routine requests for information and support the Managing Editor by updating title networks and publishing schedules. Additional responsibilities include assisting in carrying out backlist reprint corrections, reviewing conventional-to-digital text and cover proofs, creating and updating back ads for reprints, reviewing reprints for quality, and creating bound galley materials.
This is an exciting opportunity to get an overview of the publishing process and to act as a point of contact with a variety of departments, including but not limited to editorial, production, design, and marketing. If you have great attention to detail and organizational skills, excellent communication skills, an ability to track multiple projects simultaneously, and love books, then we are looking for you!
* Supports managing editor with data management in SAP and Filemaker, including date/price changes, title/subtitle changes, BISAC & related metadata updates, etc.
* Acts as liaison between department and Library of Congress, processing information to secure Cataloging-in-Publication data
* Processes backlist text and cover changes/corrections
* Receives, quality-checks, and distributes reprint copies
* Helps manage the departmental library
* Designs/creates back ads for initials and reprints
* Creates bound galley materials for physical and egalleys
* Works with the corporate reprint department and initial production managers on titles being inducted into the medium-run program, reviewing and evaluating cover and text proofs and performing quality assurance
* Works on a select number of hardcover to paperback reprint conversions each season
* Prepares and distributes weekly status reports for departmental production meetings
* Assists others in the department as required
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including a strong ability to interact with employees across various departments
* Superb organizational and time management skills; exceptional attention to detail, and the inclination to prioritize and multi-task
* Strong writing, copyediting, and proofreading skills
* Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
* Computer proficiency with working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
* Interest in learning the nuts and bolts of publishing
* Familiarity with InDesign a plus
The salary for this position is $45,000. Please apply using our online application process, and please include your resume and cover letter.
About Penguin Random House
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution.
Want to learn more about Penguin Random House? Visit Penguin Random House's website.
We produce and distribute content through some of the world’s leading and most valued brands