Senior Designer - Graphic Novels, Random House Children's Books (Open to Remote)
Penguin Random House, New York, NY
Home of the world’s best books.
Random House Graphic is a quickly growing children’s graphic novel imprint committed to creating graphic novels that kids love and can see themselves in. Our list includes bestselling graphic novel adaptations of beloved middle grade and chapter books series like Sweet Valley Twins and Magic Tree House, popular and award-winning original series like Hilo, Katie the Catsitter and Pizza and Taco, as well as critically acclaimed standalones like The Magic Fish and The Moth Keeper.
As the Senior Designer you will focus on growing our commercial, kid-facing graphic novel series for a variety of age levels, from early readers through YA. The ideal candidate is a team player and has experience designing comics, is excited to take the lead on legacy and inherited titles, is creative and collaborative, well organized, and is eager to work on children’s graphic novels. They should have excellent written and verbal communications skills, relationships with artists and letterers in the comics industry, and a solid knowledge of the market.
* Responsible for all stages of graphic novel design from hiring artists to initial sketch review, as well as creating title type and series logo designs, inputting changes and routing mechanicals, and releasing final files to printer.
* Releasing final files includes prepress production design such as digital color management and creating press ready files for overseas printers, in addition to reviewing digital and printed proofs, all while maintaining production schedules and printer deadlines.
* Communicates and collaborates in an effective, professional, and courteous manner with supervisor, internal team, artists, and agents
* Participates in production meetings, cover meetings, sales meetings, and team meetings, consistently keeping all members of the internal bookmaking team informed on project status
* Negotiates contract terms and hires artists, letterers, colorists, and freelance designers
* Provide support for ancillary design requests from marketing, sales, and the RHG team
* Participates in corporate DEI training and implementation of equitable practices in the design department
* Minimum 5 years of design experience within the children’s publishing or comics industry
* Passion for comics and graphic novels, that includes staying up-to-date on current trends
* A portfolio that highlights strong typography skills, hand-lettering and illustration skills a plus
* Experienced in prepress, particularly the 4-color printing process, and PDF workflow
* Familiarity with various comic formats beyond traditional graphic novels, including manga and webtoon
* Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator) in addition to familiarity of Procreate, and Clip Studio Pro
* Ability to meet deadlines and create and maintain publishing schedules, as well as to prioritize and multi-task across several seasons simultaneously.
Please apply by September 15th, 2023 at 11:59pm EDT for consideration, and include a link to your portfolio with your resume. Our anticipated interview process will start the week commencing September 18th.
The salary for this position is $70,000. All positions are currently eligible for annual profit award or bonus, subject to company results.
About Penguin Random House
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution.
Want to learn more about Penguin Random House? Visit Penguin Random House's website.
One of the largest broadband communications and video services providers in the United States