Book Production Assistant, Random House (Open to Remote)
Penguin Random House, New York, NY
Home of the world’s best books.
Book Production at Random House seeks a Book Production Assistant to join the team. Founded in 1925, Random House is the home to award-winning, critically acclaimed, bestselling fiction and nonfiction authors, including Lee Child, Ta-Nehisi Coates, Jodi Picoult, George R. R. Martin, Emma Cline, Jon Meacham, and Deepak Chopra. Reporting to a senior department member, the assistant will provide administrative support to the production team.
The Random House Production department is responsible for producing mass-market, trade paperback, and hardcover books for a diverse set of imprints. This role involves tracking book materials among in-house departments and vendors, maintaining schedules, generating cost estimates, archiving digital assets, and purchasing promotional materials.
Our ideal candidate is highly motivated, enthusiastic about publishing, and enjoys reading broadly and often. We are looking for a detail-oriented, meticulous self-starter who loves books of all types and is invested in the process of bringing them to a wide readership, has strong writing and analytical skills, communicates clearly, is comfortable asking for help when needed, and wants to be an active participant on a collaborative team. If you can handle the details of immediately urgent tasks but also remember to step back, consider the big picture, and adjust your strategy when needed, you'll assume greater production responsibilities over time.
For consideration, please apply using our ATS system and include your cover letter and resume.
* Under minimal supervision, archive and retrieve digital assets, and transmit materials for e-book production.
* Manage promotional materials, which includes coordinating schedules, estimating costs, creating covers, purchasing, tracking materials and reviewing invoices
* Update data in our FileMaker Pro and SAP databases; compile and distribute various reports
* Provide general administrative support to the Production team, including attending department meetings, recording and posting meeting notes, sending packages, and watermarking PDF files for internal distribution.
* With training, will learn how to produce paperback books
* Ability to manage multiple projects and schedule tasks effectively.
* Keen attention to detail
* Ability to work and learn independently as well as part of a team
* Capacity for anticipating problems and proposing solutions
* Strong written and verbal communication skills with enthusiasm
* Experience with Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, Outlook).
* Interest in expanding skills through available training in Adobe Creative Suite (specifically Acrobat Pro, InDesign, Photoshop, and Bridge), a plus
* Basic math skills
* Experience in book production is a plus but not required to succeed in this role—we value an organized and passionate team player with a strong interest in printed books.
The salary for this position is $48,000. All positions are currently eligible for annual profit award or bonus, subject to Company results.
About Penguin Random House
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution.
Want to learn more about Penguin Random House? Visit Penguin Random House's website.
We produce and distribute content through some of the world’s leading and most valued brands