Executive Editor, Ballantine (Open to Remote)
Penguin Random House, New York, NY
Home of the world’s best books.
We are currently seeking an Executive Editor to join the Ballantine imprint.
Application Deadline: September 10, 2023 at 11:59 PM EST
Specific Responsibilities Include:
* Acquire manuscripts, mainly fiction, in areas including general fiction at the intersection of quality and commercial. Opportunity to do some nonfiction as well if interested, but not required.
* Edit manuscripts—writing editorial letters and line-editing manuscripts. Work with authors on concepts, outlines, and revisions.
* Cultivate relationships in the agent community. Develop relationships with new agents and maintain ongoing ones. Act as an ambassador for the imprint with the agent community.
* Position authors for target readerships, then work with cover department, publicity, and marketing on developing publishing plans to reach the widest possible audience
* Work with production and managing editorial departments on copyediting, schedule, and design
* Prepare sales materials as needed, including endorsement requests, flap copy, and title information sheets, along with reading guide questions and value-add materials
* Keep abreast of current marketplace trends
* Handle daily correspondence, office work, phones, and attend required meetings
* Handle special projects, backlist titles, and house authors as assigned and work collaboratively with the larger team
* Help to mentor younger editors and give second reads for editorial colleagues
* Candidates should have at least 7 years book editorial experience and a solid track record of shaping commercially successful books
* Strong editorial skills
* Communication skill, verbal and written
* Interpersonal skills
* Organizational skills; ability to attend to detail
* Ability to work independently
* Knowledge of marketplace trends
* Negotiation skills
The salary range for this position is $87,000-$125,000. All positions are currently eligible for annual profit award or bonus, subject to Company results. Please apply using our online application process, and please include your resume and cover letter with salary requirements.
About Penguin Random House
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution.