Editorial Assistant, RHCB - Anne Schwartz Books
Penguin Random House, New York, NY
Home of the world’s best books.
Anne Schwartz Books and Knopf Children’s Books is seeking an Editorial Assistant to join our team. Anne Schwartz Books publishes approximately 10-15 books per year, and is made up primarily of beautifully illustrated picture books by award-winning authors and artists including Sophie Blackall, Oge Mora, Candace Fleming, Paul O. Zelinsky, and others. The Knopf list publishes approximately 75 books a year across all categories, and includes books such as the 2023 Caldecott-winner, Hot Dog by Dog Salati, All Are Welcome, by Alexandra Penfold and Suzanne Kaufman, Hoot by Carl Hiaasen, and The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman.
This position will assist the publisher of Anne Schwartz books, as well as an Executive Editor at Knopf. You will provide administrative support and editorial backup for a wide range of titles—primarily picture books but for select novels as well—gaining practical bookmaking knowledge while being mentored in how editors choose, nurture, and promote the authors and illustrators they work with. Keen interest in children’s books is a must. Previous experience in the field, either via internships or other work experience is a plus.
* Reads and evaluates manuscripts and writes reader reports for both submissions and books under contract
* Attends editorial meetings and offers creative input for the whole team
* Drafts cover/flap and online copy, front matter, and Title Information sheets
* Tags and formats manuscripts, and assists in reviewing books at different stages of production
* Performs administrative and clerical tasks such as ordering books for authors, applying for CIP Data with the Library of Congress, preparing copyright notices, drafting contract and payment requests.
* Research for special projects, including photo research, market research, illustrator research, social media research, etc.
* Help manage the schedules and track due dates for both editors
* A passion for children's literature
* An avid and thoughtful reader with strong analytical ability
* Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize multiple projects at the same time, while also communicating with your Managers
* Able to express one’s thoughts and opinions clearly and concisely in writing
* Excellent communication skills, both verbal & written
* A visual thinker with an eye for design and exceptional attention to detail
* Able to work independently and meet deadlines
* Computer skills – MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
* Knowledge of the cultural landscape and the initiative to stay abreast of trends and conversations in the industry
This is an exceptional opportunity for someone looking for a career editing children’s books as you will have the opportunity to work on books by prestigious, award-winning authors and illustrators and be mentored by top editors in the field. This role will operate on a Hybrid capacity, as there will be in office responsibilities, which include but are not limited to reviewing sample proofs and working closely with the Design team on all picture books.
The salary for this position is $48,000. All positions are currently eligible for annual profit award or bonus, subject to Company results. Please apply using our online application process and be sure to include your resume and cover letter.
About Penguin Random House
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution.
Want to learn more about Penguin Random House? Visit Penguin Random House's website.
One of the largest broadband communications and video services providers in the United States