Senior Research Associate
Recruiter.com, New York, NY
Recruit like an expert, or let an expert recruit for you.
This Pan-Africa Focused Venture Capital Firm is looking for a Senior Research Associate to join their team. This is a unique opportunity to work closely with the General Partners of the company, who were previously senior leaders from Bridgewater Associates, Morgan Stanley, Silver Lake and Facebook. You’ll be developing the foundations of a world class research function that will be a key focus for the next decade and beyond. They’re looking for an independent, scrappy, insatiably curious, deep thinker with strong analytical thinking capabilities who’s equally skilled at research and analyzing information as you are at synthesizing key insights and sharing them.
What will you do?
- Provide in-depth and detailed research on a wide variety of topics and ideas - from researching the validity of business models across different continents, to identifying emerging trends in new markets to analyzing how the firm's portfolio is differentiated (or not) compared to other African VC firms.
- Conduct competitive/market research, analyses, scenario modeling, and communication of recommendations to both business and executive-level audiences. Also requires close collaboration with a potentially broad set of stakeholders to help inform strategic priorities.
- Responsible for identifying and evaluating emerging marketplace opportunities and related strategies in partnership with investment associates. Must be highly proficient at synthesizing information on business models across multiple markets and applying this information to generating new ideas for the African market.
- Work closely with leaders and support projects, initiatives and partnerships across the firm.
- Oversee and interpret other relevant analyses of both structured and unstructured data sources including, but not limited to, financial modeling, competitor analysis, portfolio analysis, monte carlo simulations and deep dives into unit economics.
- Create comprehensive and executive and/or Board-level presentations distilling key research and concepts.
What are you like?
- Insatiably curious and the type of person that sees nuance more than black and white; you like to dig into problems and issues to understand what’s really driving then; when most people think they’ve settled on an answer, for you it’s not enough and you dig deeper.
- Creative and conceptual thinker; whether via a bottom up or town down approach, you are able to significantly contribute to the firm's idea generation process
- Scrappy and resourceful and goal oriented; your approach to research, finding out information and learning is less structured and academic and more goal oriented and practical; you will figure out a way to achieve what you need
- Strong communication, presentation and synthesis skills; able to navigate levels successfully and most importantly can identify the forest from the trees
- Strong quantitative and qualitative analytical skills; able to analyze significant amounts of data and information in order to derive meaningful insights
- Independent and proactive: make no mistake, you’re going to get world class training and attention from experienced executive coaches and mentors, but we’re a small team moving at lightspeed so you’ll need and be unafraid to ask questions.
- You’re ambitious, possess grit and want to learn the venture business from the guts on up at a firm that’s growing rapidly.
- BA/BS in Finance, Economics, or quantitative field.
- 5+ years of working experience, ideally in an heavily research oriented or qualitatively analytical role
- 1 year working in the investment industry preferred but not required
- Advanced excel
Recruiter.com is disrupting the $120 billion recruiting and staffing industry by combining an AI and Video hiring platform with the world's largest network of over 27,500 small and independent recruiters. Businesses of all sizes recruit talent faster using the Recruiter.com platform, which is powered by virtual teams of Recruiters On Demand and Video and AI job-matching technology.
Want to learn more about Recruiter.com? Visit Recruiter.com's website.
Content is the cornerstone to all we do, and our audience is why we do it.