Senior Public Relations Specialist
Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ USA
Work at Rutgers University
Level: Experienced (Non-Manager)
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is seeking a Senior Public Relations Specialist for Rutgers Communications and Marketing (R-Comm). The Senior Public Relations Specialist uses communications skills to research, find, write, and pitch content that enhances the reputation of Rutgers University and its dynamic research programs across all disciplines including the sciences. The position must be able to translate research into stories, press releases, pitches, and other media that are understandable and compelling for general audiences. They should also have a passion for the university’s public service mission and how it progresses the human condition.
Among the key duties of this position are the following:
- Leverages a range of evolving platforms, including the media, social media, the University’s news site and marketing initiatives to raise the profile and prominence of Rutgers.
- The Specialist knows how to “cover a beat,” writes concisely and clearly, thinks strategically and generates creative ideas on how to best present content to an external audience.
- Manage media relations for several schools and units as designated.
- Work closely with partners across the University to identify and develop the best potential news stories, prepare faculty and administrators for media interactions and assist in writing, gathering and producing assets to pitch to the media.
- Has excellent relationship-building and pitching skills to generate potential interview opportunities, and secure media coverage and public interest in that content.
- Expected to assist in designing media strategies that pair faculty and their research and accomplishments with the news cycle. National media contacts are a plus.
- Responsibilities include writing and pitching news releases, expert advisories, feature stories and creating talking points, editing op-eds, other content; promoting news, research, trend stories, and strategic initiatives in multichannel ways; responding to media queries quickly; using analytics to track outcomes; providing media counsel and lead media training/conduct mock interviews to faculty members and other leadership; crisis communications as needed; and serving as a university spokesperson and media liaison at events.
- Pursues media coverage creatively and aggressively, and keeps abreast of current issues and identify trends in the media and higher education.
- Exercises good judgment in interactions with people on and off campus and when handling complex and sensitive issues in high-pressure situations.
- Provides direction, coordination and support for communications and public relations efforts across campus as part of an integrated communications strategy.
- Comfortable using content management systems, media monitoring systems and familiar with multimedia storytelling.
About Rutgers University
Want to learn more about Rutgers University? Visit Rutgers University's website.
We produce and distribute content through some of the world’s leading and most valued brands