Senior Writer and Content Strategist
Sidwell Friends School, Washington, DC USA
Work at Sidwell Friends School
Level: Experienced (Non-Manager)
Reports To: Chief Communications Officer
The Office of Communications is responsible for the School’s brand standards, overall messaging, all print and digital publications, the Sidwell Friends website, video production, media relations, crisis communications and management, and parent relations and programs.
The Senior Writer and Content Strategist will be responsible for creating engaging content for a variety of channels and audiences, including prospective families, current families, alumni, and the broader Sidwell Friends community. This position requires someone to be a self-starter and to develop a network of connections across the School who can provide ideas and connections that will help with story development. The Writer and Content Strategist will also develop and implement a comprehensive content strategy, across digital and print platforms, that aligns with the school's overall positioning strategy as well as its mission and values.
- Create compelling news and magazine articles, website copy, community messages, blog posts, social media updates, email campaigns, and other written materials, that effectively communicate the School's mission and values to a range of audiences.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to understand their needs and develop content that aligns with their goals and objectives.
- Develop and maintain a content calendar that maps out content production and distribution strategies across various channels.
- Research and stay up to date on trends and best practices in education and communications and apply them to content development and strategy.
- Work with the marketing and communications team to develop and implement a cohesive brand voice and messaging strategy.
- Ensure all content is accurate, well-written, and aligned with the School's values and mission.
- Work with external vendors as needed to support content production, including writers, designers, and photographers.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a media or educational/corporate communications organization.
- Excellent writing and editing skills, with the ability to write in a range of styles and tones.
- Newspaper or journalism experience a plus.
- Experience in an educational institution a plus.
- A demonstrated track record of writing long-form and short-form content drawn from interviews and research.
- Experience developing and/or implementing a content strategy that aligns with organizational goals and objectives.
- Strong project management skills, with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.
- Experience working collaboratively with cross-functional teams.
- Knowledge of SEO best practices and social media platforms.
As a condition of employment, all employees who are employed with the school are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and able to provide proof of such vaccination. To make application for a medical or religious exemption, please contact the human resources department.
Applicants should upload a resume, cover letter and contact information for three professional references via our on-line application.
About Sidwell Friends School
Sidwell Friends School (SFS) is a PK-12, co-educational Quaker day school with campuses in Washington, D.C., and Bethesda, Maryland. Founded in 1883, the School is a nonprofit, tax-exempt institution governed by an independent Board of Trustees. A Sidwell Friends education aims to help students become the leaders of the future. To that end, the School seeks qualified individuals with the knowledge, skills, and ability to enhance the student experience and strengthen our community. Sidwell Friends maintains a generous salary and benefits package that supports and rewards our employees while helping them to deepen their professional expertise and grow as individuals. For teaching positions, a master’s degree and teaching experience in the field are preferred; a bachelor’s degree is required. For staff positions, we seek candidates with relevant experience, a commitment to excellence, and an enthusiasm for being a member of our vibrant and diverse community.