Staff Writer (Biology), Quanta Magazine
Simons Foundation, New York, NY USA
Work at Simons Foundation
Quanta Magazine is seeking a first-rate reporter to identify and cover newsworthy developments in the biological sciences. Biology is a sprawling, complex field characterized by almost endless detail; what we need is a journalist dedicated to reporting clearly on important insights into the fundamental rules and phenomena that unify life and explain how it works. Quanta generally steers clear of reporting on straight-up medical research, biotechnology and nature stories - many other publications cover them already. Our ambition is to help readers appreciate deeper, more beautiful truths about the living world.
This reporter will be responsible for writing about exciting research discoveries that run the gamut: neuroscience, genomics, evolution, microbiology, mathematical ecology, the origin of life, and everything in between. The ideal candidate will have the ability to identify emerging research of significance, and a love of asking brilliant researchers probing questions no matter how dumb some may sound.
We are looking for nothing less than an accomplished science journalist, a superb writer with impeccable news judgment, and a diehard advocate for the highest standards in journalism and scientific accuracy.
* Pitch, report and write news articles, features, interviews and explainers about biology, broadly construed.
* Develop a stable of expert sources to help stay informed about the most important and interesting scientific research happening today in the life sciences.
* Collaborate with editors throughout the editorial and fact-checking process and partner with the design team in the development of artwork, graphics, videos and other associated features.
* Occasionally write about other topics as needed.
* Attend and report from scientific meetings and conferences.
* At least two years experience as a journalist covering the life sciences or related fields, preferably for a major publication.
* Familiarity with biological concepts and research and a demonstrated knowledge of current developments.
* Must be comfortable writing news and feature articles under Web deadlines and be fluent in the best print editing standards and online conventions.
* Must be detail-oriented, organized and an excellent communicator demonstrating command of the highest standards of written English.
* Must be an excellent communicator and team player who thrives in a collaborative setting.
* Must be eager to grow as both a reporter and a writer.
* Basic familiarity with Web metrics and SEO is a plus.
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS
* Cover letter
* At least five published work samples and a link to a portfolio if available.
Quanta Magazine is an award-winning, editorially independent online publication launched by theSimons Foundationto enhance public understanding of science. Our reporters and editors focus on developments in mathematics, theoretical physics, theoretical computer science and the basic life sciences, with an emphasis on delivering timely, accurate, in-depth and well-crafted articles for our broad, discerning audience. Among other awards and accolades for its science journalism, Quanta was awarded a 2020 National Magazine Award for general excellence. Quanta has syndication partnerships with Wired, The Atlantic, Scientific American, The Washington Postand other publications, has published two books (Alice and Bob Meet the Wall of Fire and The Prime Number Conspiracy) and our articles have been translated into several languages.
THE SIMONS FOUNDATION'S DIVERSITY COMMITMENT
Many of the greatest ideas and discoveries come from a diverse mix of minds, backgrounds and experiences, and we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment.The Simons Foundation actively seeks a diverse applicant pool and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply.We provide equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic disposition, neurodiversity, disability, veteran status or any other protected category under federal, state and local law.
We give readers what they want, before they want it.