Skyword Inc., Boston, MA USA or Remote
Skyword makes it easy to tell authentic stories with lasting results.
Salary: Competitive with benefits
Level: Manager (Supervisor)
Are you a proven editorial leader with a history of creating and executing high-impact content strategies, a deep understanding of the world of B2B technology, and a passion for building ambitious, industry-leading digital publications? Perfect. Come join our team.
Skyword is seeking an accomplished editorial leader with experience running and growing a digital publication and deep expertise in the B2B technology sector to join our team as the editor in chief (EIC) for our B2B enterprise client’s established digital platform, which publishes cutting-edge and informative multimedia content covering business technology news, trends, and best practices.
The EIC will play a leading role in developing the editorial strategy and setting the future vision for this digital platform with the goal of cementing it as the digital publication for IT and business leaders who want to stay abreast of the latest (and future) technological trends and developments. The EIC will also oversee all content production across a range of digital content types and mediums, manage day-to-day operations, and own quality assurance, ensuring content meets or exceeds the publication’s high quality standards.
The EIC will oversee a 3-4 person in-house editorial team and will set the standard for the team’s collaboration with our network of freelance content creators.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- In consultation with the client, establish the vision, goals, and KPIs for the digital publication and evangelize that vision across the editorial team, writers, and key client stakeholders and SMEs.
- Lead the development and evolution of an effective content strategy for the digital publication to help achieve that vision, drawing on client and team inputs, performance data, and in-depth industry and audience knowledge to ensure that all published content supports the platform’s goals.
- Own quality assurance. This includes setting clear quality standards and editorial guidelines; approving content before publishing; regularly reviewing content for quality, substance, depth, accuracy, grammar, and style; evaluating the relevance, strength, and creativity of content ideas and pitches; and coaching editors and writers on their craft.
- Manage the publication’s day-to-day editorial operations, evaluating and refining editorial processes and workflows to maximize efficiency, elevate quality, and ensure that all content is on-brand, on-strategy and published on time and within budget.
- Develop and maintain the publication’s editorial calendar and develop high-impact publishing plans, allocating content budget and resources to develop a content ecosystem that will bring the greatest value to our audience.
- Oversee the planning and conceptualization of content, including leading brainstorm sessions internally and with client SMEs and working with the client, editorial team, and writers to develop and refine assignment and creative briefs.
- Advise the client on ways to optimize and improve the publication’s design and UX and strengthen its visual identity.
- Regularly analyze performance data and use it to inform strategic decisions, reporting progress on key outcomes both internally and to client stakeholders.
- Serve as the client’s partner and main point of contact, leading regular status meetings, representing Skyword at key stakeholder meetings, and collaborating closely with the client to ensure continued strategic alignment.
- Maintain a deep understanding of the evolving pain points, interests, trends, and ideas of highest relevance to the publication’s intended audience and use that knowledge to inform publishing plans.
- Advise on content distribution strategies and innovative ways to market the digital publication and grow and engage a loyal audience.
- Lead hiring for editorial team members through candidate identification and interviewing and support the recruitment of freelance content creators.
- Manage a team consisting of a Managing Editor, Editorial Strategists, and Editor providing ongoing support and guidance for team members on all aspects of their role as well as professional development.
Skills, Knowledge and Expertise
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, communications, or related field (or equivalent professional experience)
- 7+ years of experience in editorial or publishing roles, including at least 3 years in a leadership position running a successful digital publication.
- At least 3 years of personnel management experience
- Impeccable editorial judgement, writing, and editorial skills, including a demonstrated ability to coach others on these skills
- Experience working with B2B tech content, a strong understanding of current industry trends, and the ability to research and evaluate an audience’s needs and interests and turn those insights into exceptional content
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills
- Outstanding leadership skills, including high emotional intelligence and strong active listening skills and the ability to engage and motivate teams to reach goals and execute complex, fast-paced projects
- A knack for building strong, trusting relationships and partnerships with team members, clients, and other stakeholders
- Deep understanding of digital publishing and content marketing best practices (including SEO) and the ability to effectively analyze data and apply insights to inform strategic decisions
What we would like to see
- A passion for creating high-quality, audience-centric content experiences that build and maintain loyal audiences
- Experience with multimedia content, including podcasts, videos, and infographics
- Experience building content distribution strategies
- Experience working in WordPress
- A competitive market-based salary
- Medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance plans
- 401(k) Profit Sharing plan
- Flexible vacation time
- 12 paid holidays
- Volunteer days
- An open, friendly work environment
Many things can hold us back from applying to a job posting. The truth is, there's no such thing as the “perfect” candidate. Skyword is building a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization, so however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, will only complement the team we already have in place. At Skyword every team member can grow and develop. So, please apply if this role inspires you, and would make you want to bring your best to work every day. We’ll bring the rest to make this a memorable experience!
Skyword is a remote first organization with a corporate office in Boston, MA. We are open to qualified candidates who can work from our Boston, MA office or remotely from their home.
Skyword is proud to be endorsed by both the analyst community and our customers year after year. Most recently, we were named the 2020 Gartner Peer Insights "Customer's Choice", ranked as a leader in Gartner's 2021 Magic Quadrant, and rated by customers as a leader or high performer across 8 categories (including content creation, distribution, experience, and freelance platform) in G2's Spring 2021 Grid® Reports.
About Skyword Inc.
Founded in 2010, Skyword empowers today’s top brands to create unique content experiences that deliver customer value and drive business success. With its SaaS+ model, Skyword offers: a SaaS-based enterprise-level content marketing platform, industry-leading services, and a global community of storytellers. Today’s leading brands have created and published more than one million original stories as articles, videos, images, infographics, podcasts, and animations on Skyword360. These stories have earned Skyword customers more than two billion visits organically, and Skyword has paid its freelance creatives more than $30 million on behalf of its customers. Skyword is a privately held company headquartered in Boston, MA with an office in Washington D.C. Current investors include Rho Acceleration, Cox Media Group, Allen & Company, Progress Ventures, and American Public Media Group.
Want to learn more about Skyword Inc.? Visit Skyword Inc.'s website.
Create the extraordinary.