Soho Publishing, New York, NY USA
Work at Soho Publishing
Salary: Competitive with benefits
Level: Experienced (Non-Manager)
Mixed Media Resources, LLC is seeking to hire an Art Director to design highly illustrated step-by-step knitting, crafting, and art instruction books for adults and children. This role will report to the Creative Director. This position is based in our New York office with a hybrid office/work from home schedule.
Mixed Media Resources is an affiliate of Soho Publishing. The Art Director will design a variety of books for the imprints of MMR, Sixth & Spring Books, and Drawing with Christopher Hart.
- Work with editors to develop each title’s design direction.
- Execute all phases of book design: create cover and sample pages; art direct and design the layout of book; commission photography and illustration; send files to prepress; color correct proofs; upload printer-ready pdfs to press; archive final book files.
- Manage knit wear fashion photo shoots: hiring models, stylists, and hair and makeup artists.
- Identify photographers and illustrators for particular book needs.
- Art direct photography and illustration.
- Work closely with editor and artist authors to create cover art.
- Maintain design budgets and schedules.
- Generate contracts for photographers and illustrators.
- Communicate in an effective, professional, and courteous manner with staff, outside agencies, and contractors.
- Attend and participate in production meetings.
- Negotiate contracts with illustrators and photographers, and process invoices.
- Mark up proofs for color correction and send back to prepress.
- 5+ years book design experience with highly-illustrated nonfiction books.
- 4 year college degree preferably in Graphic Design, or equivalent work experience
- Experience with highly illustrated step-by-step instruction and/or fashion photography a plus.
- Thorough knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite CC: InDesign; Photoshop; Illustrator; Bridge; and Acrobat Pro.
- Experience with pre-press proofing and color correction.
- Facility with color correction of digital photography a plus.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail, quality, and process, ability to prioritize and multi-task, and manage time efficiently.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Self-starting, able to work collaboratively and independently.
- Genuine passion for books.
Please send your resume, cover letter and a link to your portfolio to be considered for this position.
Mixed Media Resources, LLC is working toward building a diverse workforce and we are passionate about creating an inclusive environment so everyone can thrive. We deeply value diversity and honor the importance of a range of perspectives. SOHO Publishing is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, familial status, and other legally protected characteristics. We strongly encourage those of all races, religions, ethnicities, veterans, people with disabilities, and gender non-conforming candidates to apply. We are excited to meet you!
About Soho Publishing
SOHO Publishing is a privately-held how-to publishing company. We are located in SOHO, New York. Our how-to specialty is generally based in knitting, crochet, sewing, cooking, crafting, art, etc. and we publish magazines, books, custom publishing projects, web-based materials and apps.
We produce and distribute content through some of the world’s leading and most valued brands
Creative Jobs For You
Digital Designer/Senior Digital Designer, Production
Center for American Progress, Washington, DC USA