Online Producer with Pulitzer Prize-Winning Newsroom, The Press Democrat
Sonoma Media Investments, LLC, Santa Rosa, CA
Work at Sonoma Media Investments, LLC
Level: Experienced (Non-Manager)
The Press Democrat, a division of Sonoma Media Investments, is seeking an Online Producer to join our Pulitzer Prize-winning newsroom. The candidate must be a strong online editor and headline writer who has a thorough understanding of the different social media platforms and knows how to engage and grow an audience.
Essential job functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Responsible for managing content on pressdemocrat.com, including breaking news
- Be able to multi-task and handle requests from editors, reporters and news sources under pressure
- Have the ability to prioritize tasks, work independently and meet deadlines
- Review and post stories, photos, videos and graphics to online, social media and other digital avenues
- Identify and produce reader-generated story ideas to increase online engagement
- Write web-optimized headlines, web teasers and photo captions for multiple platforms
- Manage social media and build up the site’s social media position
- Spot traffic-driving stories that can be localized
- Create compelling and timely digital content, including short stories, photo galleries, briefs, breaking news reports, feature items, calendar listings, blogs and videos
- Moderate site comments
- Work collaboratively with reporters and editors to ensure stories clearly convey information
- Approach change positively and adapt quickly to new work situations
- BA from accredited college or university or equivalent education and / or experience in journalism or communication
- 4+ years’ experience in a newsroom environment preferred
We offer an opportunity to grow your career at our Pulitzer Prize-winning newsroom, with opportunities to contribute to our newspapers, websites and regional magazine. All have been recognized as among the best in their respective categories.
Sonoma Media Investments (SMI) is an independent, privately-owned multimedia company based in Santa Rosa. Formed in 2012 by a consortium of local investors who recognize the value of quality local journalism, SMI is home to the most-read publications and websites in the affluent Sonoma Valley, north of San Francisco.
Each week, seven out of ten North Bay adults – more than 376,000 in total – engage with the many SMI publications and their corresponding websites, including: The Pulitzer Prize-winning Press Democrat (the flagship daily), The Sonoma Index-Tribune, Petaluma Argus-Courier, The North Bay Business Journal, Sonoma Magazine and La Prensa Sonoma (the region’s premier Spanish-language newspaper and website).
Sonoma Media Investment values the contribution of our employees and offers a competitive compensation plan. We also offer an array of benefits, including medical, dental, vision, 401K and Paid Time Off. Any job offer is conditional upon satisfactorily completing a pre-employment background investigation.
To be considered, please click "apply" and be sure to submit a resume and cover letter.
COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement: SMI is committed to creating a safe work environment for all employees, independent contractors, vendors and guests. All employees are required to submit proof of a COVID-19 vaccine and be subject to booster shots as recommended by the CDC. Medical reasons for not being vaccinated and religious objections will be carefully reviewed to determine if an accommodation can be made.
Sonoma Media Investments is an Equal Opportunity Employer
About Sonoma Media Investments, LLC
A world-leading research, educational, and professional publisher.