Sounds True, Louisville, CO
Work at Sounds True
Salary: We offer an excellent working environment and great benefits including health, dental, vision, matching 401k, paid time off, profit sharing and more! The starting salary for this position is $60,000 to $70,000 annually, based on experience.
Level: Experienced (Non-Manager)
Sounds True, a multimedia publisher of mind, body, and spirit titles, is seeking an experienced Acquisitions/Commissioning Editor to help build our list of innovative and high-quality books that are in keeping with Sounds True’s mission and publishing strategy.
This is a full-time position that is based in our Louisville, Colorado office, but remote applicants are encouraged to apply.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the psychology, relationships, health, healing, and self-help book marketplace and trends. The ideal candidate will have their finger on the pulse of hot new ideas on a broad spectrum of topics, including health and healing, transformational memoir, conscious parenting, creativity, spirituality, personal and professional wellness, conscious leadership and business, self-help and personaldevelopment
- Acquiring and developmentally editing 12-15 new book projects annually as directed by the acquisitions team, and providing regular reporting ofprogress toward acquisitions and editorialgoals
- Writing catalog copy, jacket copy, and in-house positioning sales materials for each bookacquired
- Identifying potential authors, developing proposals, presenting new projects to the acquisitions team, and negotiating offers with authors and literary agents as necessary
- Cultivating and managing relationships with authors and literaryagents
- Brainstorming, creating, and composing new project proposals for content and marketability
- Researching and evaluating industry trends, competitive titles, and professional needs in the designated fields, including conference attendance and travel
- Representing each book acquired through titling, creative direction, and subsequent editorial phases, including personally performing developmental editing and transmittal tasks for eachtitle
- Working closely with production editors and freelancers, as well as editorial assistants, production, marketing and sales, art/design, IT, and Contracts to meet acquisitions, development, and publishinggoals
The ideal candidate:
- You have a demonstrated record of acquiring books in the psychology, relationships, health & healing, and self-help categories, and an established author and agent network in thesedisciplines.
- You have experience taking ideas and building books from the ground up—creating concepts, finding writers, shaping manuscripts, etc.—and managing all processes of book acquisition throughpublication.
- You possess superior editorial judgment, excellent developmental editing skills, strong knowledge of these disciplines, and an independent and entrepreneurial spirit.
- You are a trend-spotter. You possess a great deal of market-savvy that gives youthe ability to know what’s next in terms of hot topics in our genre. And you have the ability to develop the best project positioning for each new title youacquire.
- You are a voracious reader of books and articles on personal development—and you are passionate about fresh ideas that will help people thrive, live authentically, improve their health, and improve theirrelationships.
- You thrive while working in a self-directed manner—and you are also an excellent teamplayer.
- Minimum 5-6 years of relevant editorialexperience
- Established agencycontacts
- Excellent negotiationskills
- Strong, succinct presentationskills
- Ability to effectively communicate with all levels across theorganization
- Strong organizational skills and attention todetail
- Ability to work independently and set priorities underpressure
- Excellent written and oral communicationskills
- Proficient knowledge of MSOffice
Sounds True believes that the publishing and wellness industries should center more BIPOC and LBGTQ voices and we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities.
Sounds True is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We offer an excellent working environment and great benefits including health, dental, vision, matching 401k, paid time off, profit sharing and more! The starting salary for this position is $60,000 to $70,000 annually, based on experience. To learn more about us, visit SoundsTrue.com. To apply, please send a letter of interest with your resume.
About Sounds True
Sounds True is a multimedia publisher specializing in transformational learning and was founded in 1985.
Content is the cornerstone to all we do, and our audience is why we do it.