Springer Nature, New York, NY
A world-leading research, educational, and professional publisher.
The Editorial team in Business, Economics, Social Sciences & Statistics is part of a global scholarly journals program in the Humanities and Social Sciences. With publishing staff in both New York and London, the group publishes approximately 160 subscription, hybrid, and open access titles in the areas of Business, Economics, Political Science, Operations Research & Management Information Systems, Sociology, Criminology, Archaeology/Anthropology, and Statistics, across the Springer and Palgrave imprints. This role is based in our New York office.
Reporting to the Senior Editor in New York, the Editorial Assistant provides administrative and project management support for a portfolio of approximately 75 titles, and general assistance to the team of publishing editors based in New York and London in providing best-in-class service to Editors-in-Chief, Editorial Board Members, society representatives, authors, and peer reviewers. Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
* Understand and contribute to meeting the annual targets for journal submission, publication, and transfer volumes as well as target turnaround times
* Serve as a vital information resrouces for Editors-in-Chief, Editorial Board members, and society partners
* Respond to queries from authors, reviewers, and other contributors
* Support and help to monitor submission systems, article flow, and special issues
* Participate in rollout and management of policies and protocols (e.g., plagiarism detection, data management)
* Assist and advise on processing of rights and permissions requests
* Coordinate metrics – assist in reporting “key performance indicators,” such as article output, usage, citations, and media coverage
* Assist in preparation for Editorial Board meetings and conferences
* Contribute to social media initiatives and support a variety of marketing initiatives and activities
* Collaborate with colleagues in marketing, production, JEO, finance, customer service, and other departments to ensure efficient and effective operations
* Manage and monitor invoices and payment requests
* Ad hoc journal and team administration
* Input and maintain relevant data to systems, such as JFlow, CMS, etc.
* Liaise with Editorial Assistants in other publishing divisions and units to share best practices and propose improvements to workflows, operations and communications
* Contribute to the wider Springer Nature Journals group by taking part in cross-departmental projects and initiatives, with respect to publication ethics, data transparency, Open Access policy, and other industry developments
EXPERIENCE, SKILLS, and QUALIFICATIONS:
* Educated to degree or level or equivalent, preferably in a relevant field of study
* Have excellent verbal and written communication skills and be numerate and IT systems-literate, with a sharp eye for detail
* Be able to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and be able to work on your own initiative
* Be resourceful and proactive in dealing with problems, queries, and opportunities
* Have excellent team-working skills to deal with people within the company and externally at all levels
* Have a proactive attitude
* Excellent English-language skills
* Have excellent networking and acquiring skills and good presentation skills
* Be a diplomatic and assertive individual who is able to work with demanding stakeholders
* Previous experience within academic publishing preferred
* Be flexible, able to work in a multi-cultural environment and show a commercial/entrepreneurial spirit
About Springer Nature
Springer Nature is an ambitious and dynamic organisation that is home to some of the best known names in research, educational and professional publishing. Working at the heart of a changing industry we are always looking for great people who care about delivering quality to our customers and the communities we work alongside.
In return you will find Springer Nature is a great place to learn from some of the best in the business, with a culture that empowers people to find solutions and act on their instincts.
Whether you are at the beginning of your career or are an experienced professional, we invite you to find out more about the roles we offer and explore our current vacancies.
At Springer Nature, we value the diversity of our teams. We recognize the many benefits of a diverse workforce with equitable opportunities for everyone. We strive for an inclusive workplace that empowers all our colleagues to thrive. Our search for the best talent fully encompasses and embraces these values and principles.
Want to learn more about Springer Nature? Visit Springer Nature's website.
Create the extraordinary.