Development Editor (Primary and Pre-Primary)
Springer Nature, Remote, IN
A world-leading research, educational, and professional publisher.
Location: This role is fully remote
A Development Editor is required to join the Content Development team at Macmillan Education. You’ll be working within the publishing project team developing material from initial writing brief to publication in line with publishing vision of the Commissioning Editor and Publisher. The successful applicant will work closely with authors and freelance editors to ensure the development of high-quality and market-appropriate content.This is an exciting and varied role for anyone looking for their next challenge.
* Contribute to the Investment Approval (IA) process and support the Commissioning Editor in concept development, sample materials, market / research feedback
* Support in the preparation of author briefs
* Identify potential authors, contributors and external content creators
* Work with authors to develop material which follows the brief and is aligned to different output formats
* Take responsibility for overseeing external content creators to ensure the content meets the required standard
* Provide feedback to authors/contributors, suggesting appropriate action to ensure content meets the brief
* Alert the project team to any content development issues
* Attend audio recordings, video/photo shoots and photo selection meetings to ensure outputs adhere to the brief / project specification
* Create artwork, design and digital specification briefs, as well as style sheets, page plans and asset briefs
* Deal with overmatter (print and digital), commenting on issues and feeding back appropriately
* Understand the processes involved in rights clearance
* Supports with the understanding and establishment of a specific market or segment needs
* Carry out desk and market research, i.e. competition, segment, market analysis; classroom observations
* Understand the publishing vision in the context of the publishing plan and Macmillan’s business needs
* Keep up to date on ELT/EFL issues, undertake background research and attend conferences as appropriate
* Use and develop existing skills and participate in in-house/external training sessions
* Knowledge of ELT markets and segments
* Appreciation for a wide international range of teaching and learning situations
* Excellent written English
* An ability to work to tight deadlines and to manage numerous tasks
* Understanding of publishing technologies
* Knowledge of a second language
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
* Ability to work within a team and to work independently
* A working understanding of content management systems
* Demonstrable ELT/EFL teaching experience, preferably in a primary and/or secondary setting
* A can-do, positive attitude and commitment to achieving results
* Publishing background, ideally in ELT
* Experience of working with a range of new media and digital project
About Springer Nature
Springer Nature is an ambitious and dynamic organisation that is home to some of the best known names in research, educational and professional publishing. Working at the heart of a changing industry we are always looking for great people who care about delivering quality to our customers and the communities we work alongside.
In return you will find Springer Nature is a great place to learn from some of the best in the business, with a culture that empowers people to find solutions and act on their instincts.
Whether you are at the beginning of your career or are an experienced professional, we invite you to find out more about the roles we offer and explore our current vacancies.
At Springer Nature, we value the diversity of our teams. We recognize the many benefits of a diverse workforce with equitable opportunities for everyone. We strive for an inclusive workplace that empowers all our colleagues to thrive. Our search for the best talent fully encompasses and embraces these values and principles.
Want to learn more about Springer Nature? Visit Springer Nature's website.
We produce and distribute content through some of the world’s leading and most valued brands