Associate Editor, HSS Journals (Social Sciences)
Springer Nature, New York, NY
A world-leading research, educational, and professional publisher.
The editorial team in Business, Economics, Social Sciences, and Statistics is part of a global journals program in the Humanities and Social Sciences. The New York-based group, reporting to the Editorial Director, publishes approximately 150 subscription, hybrid, and open access scholarly journals across the Springer and Palgrave imprints. The Associate Editor for Social Sciences will manage an established portfolio of approximately 14 proprietary and society-owned journals, with a focus on enhancing performance of the current titles, exploring opportunities for new acquisitions and launches, and participating in a variety of company- and industry-wide initiatives.
Reporting to the Editorial Director, the Associate Editor is responsible for the growth, development, and publishing management of a portfolio of journals in the Social Sciences (including such topics as International Development, Gender Studies, Sociology, Labor Economics, and Gerontology). Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
* Strategic management of the portfolio, including prioritization of key titles, preparing and implementing journal development/improvement plans, and establishing and monitoring annual performance targets
* Delivering a best-in-class author experience and efficient workflows
* Engaging with Editors-in-Chief and Editorial Board members to develop collaborative, long-term relationships
* Negotiating contracts and renewals
* Monitoring financial performance and identifying opportunities to increase profitability
* Developing strong working relationships with colleagues across departments
* Actively participating in the research communities by attending conference and meetings, understanding trends in the disciplines
* Expanding the network of advisors and contributors, and sensing opportunities for new products and services
* Contributing to the wider Springer Nature Journals group by taking part in cross-departmental projects and initiatives, with respect to publication ethics, data transparency, Open Access practices and policies, Sustainable Development Goals, Diversity and Inclusion, and other industry developments
EXPERIENCE, SKILLS, and QUALIFICATIONS:
* Educated to degree or level or equivalent, preferably in a relevant field of study
* Have excellent verbal and written communication skills and be numerate and IT systems-literate, with a sharp eye for detail
* Be able to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and be able to work on your own initiative
* Be resourceful and proactive in dealing with problems, queries, and opportunities
* Have excellent team-working skills to deal with people within the company and externally at all levels
* Have a proactive attitude
* Excellent English-language skills
* Have excellent networking and acquiring skills and good presentation skills
* Be a diplomatic and assertive individual who is able to work with demanding stakeholders
* Previous experience within academic publishing preferred
* Be flexible, able to work in a multi-cultural environment and show a commercial/entrepreneurial spirit
About Springer Nature
Springer Nature is an ambitious and dynamic organisation that is home to some of the best known names in research, educational and professional publishing. Working at the heart of a changing industry we are always looking for great people who care about delivering quality to our customers and the communities we work alongside.
In return you will find Springer Nature is a great place to learn from some of the best in the business, with a culture that empowers people to find solutions and act on their instincts.
Whether you are at the beginning of your career or are an experienced professional, we invite you to find out more about the roles we offer and explore our current vacancies.
At Springer Nature, we value the diversity of our teams. We recognize the many benefits of a diverse workforce with equitable opportunities for everyone. We strive for an inclusive workplace that empowers all our colleagues to thrive. Our search for the best talent fully encompasses and embraces these values and principles.
Want to learn more about Springer Nature? Visit Springer Nature's website.
Create the extraordinary.