Production Editor (Books)
Springer Nature, New york, NY
A world-leading research, educational, and professional publisher.
New York, NY
The Production Editor is responsible for overseeing full service vendor activities and content management systems to facilitate the production process from manuscript through to online published files and print product ensuring the accuracy of metadata and the timely, cost effective release of content to market. Critical are the ability to work independently, maintaining positive and constructive relationships with stakeholders, being able to direct and coach vendors, and have excellent communication skills.
* Under minimal supervision, the Production Editor is responsible for but not limited to the following:
Driving an efficient product workflow:
* Inclusive of overseeing full service vendor activities, trouble shooting project trouble spots as well as acts as a liaison between vendors, authors, publication editors, Publishing Editorial and Customer Service/Fulfillment to ensure the accuracy of metadata as well as to facilitate the workflow and completion of an assigned project list to produce content that will be viewed on both electronic devices as well as print media.
Effectively utilizing corporate systems:
* Proactive use of content management systems and databases with the end goal of advancing the project workflow. Responsibilities include accurately updating systems on a timely basis, utilizing job sheets, reporting tools, written correspondence, and verbal communication as a means to professionally present project requirements.
* Actively uphold Springer Nature’s global quality standards for accurate metadata providing feedback to vendors and resolving issues both during the production process as well as post publication. Document feedback within the appropriate systems and inform supervisors and management of critical issues. Responsible for checking proofs at various stages as required.
* Effective and timely communication with vendors, authors, publication editors, Publishing Editorial, and Customer Service/Logistics as well as department supervisors and managers. Provide timely feedback back to improve upon workflows and vendor performance.
* Responsible for keeping management informed of changes to project cost status as well as justifying final invoices as queried by manager.
* Adhoc duties as needed
Experience, skills and qualifications:
* Bachelor’s degree equivalent
* Minimum two (2) years' production experience required
* Computer literacy and competency with MS Office Suite products a must
* Excellent oral and written communications skills required
* Prior experience with electronic production of titles using author’s files for text/art an asset
* Experience working with content management systems and databases desirable
* Experience in scientific publications production (including heavily illustrated medical works and/or mathematics texts) as well as knowledge of electronic attributes such as DTDs and metadata, desirable
About Springer Nature
Springer Nature is an ambitious and dynamic organisation that is home to some of the best known names in research, educational and professional publishing. Working at the heart of a changing industry we are always looking for great people who care about delivering quality to our customers and the communities we work alongside.
In return you will find Springer Nature is a great place to learn from some of the best in the business, with a culture that empowers people to find solutions and act on their instincts.
Whether you are at the beginning of your career or are an experienced professional, we invite you to find out more about the roles we offer and explore our current vacancies.
At Springer Nature, we value the diversity of our teams. We recognize the many benefits of a diverse workforce with equitable opportunities for everyone. We strive for an inclusive workplace that empowers all our colleagues to thrive. Our search for the best talent fully encompasses and embraces these values and principles.
Want to learn more about Springer Nature? Visit Springer Nature's website.
We produce and distribute content through some of the world’s leading and most valued brands