Director of Marketing, Scientific American
Springer Nature, New York, NY
A world-leading research, educational, and professional publisher.
Location: NYC or DC
Reports to: Kimberly Lau, VP Consumer Media and President Scientific American
This position is a hybrid role reporting to the New York or DC office 2-3 times a week.
Purpose of the Role
The Marketing Director has primary responsibility for driving consumer subscription sales and expanding audience acquisition across all channels for Scientific American. The role is part of the Sr. Management team and will report into the President of Scientific American. The role is responsible for setting and executing marketing strategy across our subscription and distribution products; providing team leadership; and collaborating with internal and external stakeholders including editorial, development, e-commerce service providers and outside consultants/contractors. The key purpose of the role is to grow Scientific American’s digital subscription revenue. In addition, this role oversees customer service.
* Prepare and manage Scientific American’s strategic marketing plan, responsible for the budget, to support business objectives
* Develop/test monthly e:mail campaigns for subscription offers, regularly assessing effectiveness of copy, offer, open/click rates and conversions. Apply learnings to consistently improve results.
* Engage deeply with editorial management to ensure that marketing and promotion efforts are effectively aligned with editorial content and highlighted/special features. Collaborate to develop contextual sales opportunities and provide commercial guidance for new product development (i.e., webinars, podcast subscription vehicles).
* Grow the available marketing list of eligible promotional recipients, maintain hygiene by routinely suppressing inactive names and adding new prospects. Work with relevant departments (i.e., editorial, product & technology) to develop new lead generation programs and leverage social media audiences to improve awareness/engagement/conversion.
* Manage paid search campaigns, track/analyze performance and continuously optimize profitability of related efforts.
* Serve as primary business liaison with fulfilment providers (i.e., CDS), ensure processes and protocols are in place to provide exceptional service to our customers.
* Manage internal customer service team, maintain effective communication and coordination with 3rd party fulfilment provider(s) to guarantee unified, consistent and effective customer service supporting all products and services.
* Develop and oversee innovative marketing strategies – with a focus on digital - to strengthen Scientific American’s position as a leading science focused consumer brand.
* Lead a team of marketing experts with the main focus on subscription acquisition and renewals.
* Analyze markets, market segments and competitor activities to increase the effectiveness and ROI of own marketing activities.
* Effectively manage the marketing budget, ensuring optimal efficiency and positive impact on revenues/operating contribution.
* Develop Key Performance Indicators to benchmark the performance of marketing and customer engagement activities, and then identify and extend best practices.
* Create reporting and metrics to analyze subscriptions and circulation data, as well as available market intelligence.
Experience, Skills & Qualifications
* BA/BS required. Advance degree preferred
* 7+ years’ experience in consumer marketing
* Demonstrated track record of growing product/service sales through ecommerce channels
* Management experience required; hiring, training and development
* Excellent financial skills, ability to forecast, budget and monitor growth.
* Significant digital marketing experience across multiple channels including print, mail, email, website and paid search and social
* Sound knowledge of circulation marketing and understanding of AAM audit rules
* Excellent digital marketing and customer engagement skillset.
* Significant experience of marketing technology, including managing and developing digital products across multiple platforms and the successful introduction of new marketing stack elements.
* Considerable experience with CRM & CMS systems; web technology, database & reporting systems; advertising technology & reporting systems.
* Experience in working with C-suite and leadership teams in large global organizations; demonstrable business partnership capability, gravitas and credibility.
* Track record of innovation and ability to drive change, including demonstrable experience of applying customer journey insights, data-driven approaches to segmentation, and targeting, and marketing automation.
* Oversee and drive activities for team to improve current working practices/products/ technologies to grow the business
About Springer Nature
Springer Nature is an ambitious and dynamic organisation that is home to some of the best known names in research, educational and professional publishing. Working at the heart of a changing industry we are always looking for great people who care about delivering quality to our customers and the communities we work alongside.
In return you will find Springer Nature is a great place to learn from some of the best in the business, with a culture that empowers people to find solutions and act on their instincts.
Whether you are at the beginning of your career or are an experienced professional, we invite you to find out more about the roles we offer and explore our current vacancies.
At Springer Nature, we value the diversity of our teams. We recognize the many benefits of a diverse workforce with equitable opportunities for everyone. We strive for an inclusive workplace that empowers all our colleagues to thrive. Our search for the best talent fully encompasses and embraces these values and principles.
Want to learn more about Springer Nature? Visit Springer Nature's website.
We produce and distribute content through some of the world’s leading and most valued brands