Associate Editor / Editor Applied Mathematics/Statistics
Springer Nature, New York, NY
A world-leading research, educational, and professional publisher.
Location: New York (Hybrid)
Springer Nature is seeking to appoint an Associate Editor / Editor to acquire and publish content within part of its existing Mathematics and Statistics book portfolio within a strategic framework determined by the Editor. A strong focus will be on topics from applied mathematics, applied statistics, PDEs. The ideal candidate will possess excellent communication skills, both oral and written, as building and maintaining strong working relationships with authors, series editors, and other partners, both external and internal, is essential to this role.
* Acquire and publish content in assigned subject areas
* Identify potential authors and important topics by researching new and emerging trends in the market, both national and international
* Develop relationships with academics, researchers, authors, etc., in order to maintain a network of subject-area experts, peer reviewers, and potential authors
* In cooperation with editorial colleagues, develop existing book portfolio and relationships with series editors, editorial board members, authors, etc.
* Solicit, evaluate, and develop book proposals, including managing the external peer review process
* Negotiate contract terms with authors
* Assist authors with manuscript preparation as needed
* Prepare final manuscripts for handover to production and remain a point of contact for authors throughout the production process
* Meet annual goals set by editorial management for contracts signed and manuscripts put into production
* Business travel (domestic/international) as required
Experience, Skills, and Qualifications
* Educated to degree level (or equivalent)
* Have excellent English language skills, both verbal and written, and be numerate and IT systems-literate, with a sharp eye for detail
* 3-4 years of work experience in a professional office environment (preferably publishing)
* Be a diplomatic and assertive individual who is able to work with demanding stake-holders
* Be able to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and work independently in a team environment
* Be resourceful and proactive in dealing with problems and queries
* Excellent networking skills
* A graduate degree in mathematics, statistics, or another STEM field
* If applying as Editor: several years of experience as an associate editor or comparable positions
To apply for the position, please submit a resume or CV and a cover letter, including your salary expectations and date you are available to start.
About Springer Nature
Springer Nature is an ambitious and dynamic organisation that is home to some of the best known names in research, educational and professional publishing. Working at the heart of a changing industry we are always looking for great people who care about delivering quality to our customers and the communities we work alongside.
In return you will find Springer Nature is a great place to learn from some of the best in the business, with a culture that empowers people to find solutions and act on their instincts.
Whether you are at the beginning of your career or are an experienced professional, we invite you to find out more about the roles we offer and explore our current vacancies.
At Springer Nature, we value the diversity of our teams. We recognize the many benefits of a diverse workforce with equitable opportunities for everyone. We strive for an inclusive workplace that empowers all our colleagues to thrive. Our search for the best talent fully encompasses and embraces these values and principles.
Want to learn more about Springer Nature? Visit Springer Nature's website.
We produce and distribute content through some of the world’s leading and most valued brands