Springer Nature, New York, NY
A world-leading research, educational, and professional publisher.
We are seeking an enthusiastic and motivated publishing professional to join our global team working on research journals in Mathematics and Statistics.
The Associate Publisher is responsible for supporting the growth, strategic development, and editorial management of a portfolio of proprietary and society journals in Mathematics and Statistics while participating in a variety of company- and industry-wide initiatives. The Associate Publisher, under the direction of the Executive Publisher, contributes to the development of processes that enhance performance of high volume titles with the aim of becoming market leader within selected disciplines and geographies. This role is based in our New York or Philadelphia offices on a hybrid working model.
* Develop journals to deliver a best-in-class author experience and foster maximum engagement from the Societies, Editors-in-Chief and Editorial Board Members (EBMs) on whom we rely.
* Drive the growth and development of a group of journals as part of a strategically defined overall portfolio within the Journals group.
* Manage the complexities of the relationships with partner societies, including contract negotiations
* Develop strong working relationships with colleagues in production, IT and other departments to ensure that any problems encountered with your journal, and particularly by authors, editors and peer reviewers, can be swiftly and effectively resolved.
* Understand and manage the annual targets for journal submission, publication and transfer volumes as well as target turnaround times.
* Ensure that all KPIs are regularly monitored, reported and met, and that action is taken as needed.
* Manage annual Journal Development/Improvement Plans and oversee their implementation and successful conclusion.
* Take responsibility for timely resolution of research integrity/publication misconduct issues that arise in any of your journals (both pre-publication and post-publication), working with the Springer Nature Research Integrity Group (SNRIG) and Editors-in-Chief or their equivalents as appropriate.
* Attend external meetings (in-person or virtual) to build close working relationships with external EiCs, EBMs, society partners, and the wider research community
* Understand the trends and changes in the communities you serve to ensure that Springer Nature can respond appropriately.
* Develop and maintain relationships with a network of researchers.
* Be aware of changes within the research community and publishing industry, and translate these into proposals for successful (new) products and services.
* Take part in cross-departmental projects and/or company-wide task forces and working groups.
* Review new journal and commercial opportunities in consultation with the Senior Management and contribute to journal proposals.
* Represent the team in projects with Production, Sales, Marketing, Finance and other Editorial colleagues.
Experience, Skills & Qualifications:
* Educated to degree level or equivalent, preferably in a relevant field of study
* Previous experience in academic publishing
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills
* IT systems-literate, with a sharp eye for detail
* Positive and proactive approach to problem solving, taking ownership to drive and complete tasks
* Ability to work cooperatively with colleagues at all levels and as part of a team
* Excellent communication and influencing skills
* Ability to work on your own initiative and independently within a (virtual) team environment
* Experience of developing and maintaining productive and friendly relations/partnerships with academic and industry-based researchers
* Strong time management and organizational skills; including proven ability to take ownership to drive and complete tasks, to consistently meet deadlines, and to adapt quickly to change
* Demonstrate diplomacy and assertiveness
* Be resourceful and proactive in dealing with problems and queries
* Ability to travel when required
About Springer Nature
Springer Nature is an ambitious and dynamic organisation that is home to some of the best known names in research, educational and professional publishing. Working at the heart of a changing industry we are always looking for great people who care about delivering quality to our customers and the communities we work alongside.
In return you will find Springer Nature is a great place to learn from some of the best in the business, with a culture that empowers people to find solutions and act on their instincts.
Whether you are at the beginning of your career or are an experienced professional, we invite you to find out more about the roles we offer and explore our current vacancies.
At Springer Nature, we value the diversity of our teams. We recognize the many benefits of a diverse workforce with equitable opportunities for everyone. We strive for an inclusive workplace that empowers all our colleagues to thrive. Our search for the best talent fully encompasses and embraces these values and principles.
Want to learn more about Springer Nature? Visit Springer Nature's website.
Connectors. Creators. Experience Makers.