Acquisitions Editor, Programming Languages (Apress)
Springer Nature, New York, NY
A world-leading research, educational, and professional publisher.
Apress meets the needs of IT professionals, software developers, and programmers through the provision of more than 3,500 books in print and electronic formats. Apress provides high quality, no-fluff content that helps technology professionals build a comprehensive pathway to career success. Our high-quality, practical content helps technology professionals at all levels increase the skills they need to advance in their day-to-day work.
The Editor is responsible for the acquisition and the ongoing management of a portfolio of books and videos covering everything related to native programming languages. Topic areas include, but are not limited to Java, Jakarta, Spring, C++, PHP, Perl, R, Assembly and Android, for an audience varying from absolute beginner to professional developer.
Titles acquired by the Editor should be of consistent high quality and in line with Apress’ reputation as a high-quality publisher of technology and business books. In addition to the book acquisition, the editor will work on multi-media products in the before-mentioned areas as well, including stand-alone videos or video courses, as well as enhancements to eBooks such as flashcards.
The position involves extensive author contact, as well as proposal review, contract negotiation, acquisition of manuscripts for production, overview of the manuscript to ensure Apress standards, promotional planning and long-range planning for growth, and development of the programming languages publishing lines. Domestic and international travel is required, when appropriate.
Specific responsibilities include:
* Acquire and publish approximately 25-30 books and videos in the programming languages topic areas
* Create, implement and maintain a publishing plan for the programming languages portfolio
* Pursue an active and efficient acquisitions policy, requiring strong initiative and independent functioning
* Prepare, negotiate, and execute publishing contracts
* Work with authors to ensure timely delivery of book manuscripts
* Develop a network of technical reviewers and advisors that can be called upon for advice about the program and manuscript reviews
* Maintain communication and a strong working relationship with editorial counterparts in the US, the UK, and India about specific immediate questions as well as long-term strategy questions
* Travel to relevant conferences for acquisition purposes and to 'wave the Apress flag' and share information about publishing with Apress with attendees
* Maintain continuous cooperation and dialogue with our marketing, promotion, and production departments concerning individual projects as well as general questions
* Review and discuss new projects and plans with editorial colleagues, particularly in overlapping areas
* A degree or equivalent
* Strong affinity with/a natural interest in the tech industry
* At least 2-3 years of publishing experience, ideally in tech or in academic publishing is strongly preferred (but candidates without publishing experience but with a background in tech in a commercial role will be considered)
* Excellent interpersonal, organizational and communication skills
* Must be able to work to strict deadlines and ensure delivery from multiple teams
* Must be willing and able to travel to conferences and events, when appropriate and as required
* Flexible/hybrid working 3 days in office and two days at home
About Springer Nature
Springer Nature is an ambitious and dynamic organisation that is home to some of the best known names in research, educational and professional publishing. Working at the heart of a changing industry we are always looking for great people who care about delivering quality to our customers and the communities we work alongside.
In return you will find Springer Nature is a great place to learn from some of the best in the business, with a culture that empowers people to find solutions and act on their instincts.
Whether you are at the beginning of your career or are an experienced professional, we invite you to find out more about the roles we offer and explore our current vacancies.
At Springer Nature, we value the diversity of our teams. We recognize the many benefits of a diverse workforce with equitable opportunities for everyone. We strive for an inclusive workplace that empowers all our colleagues to thrive. Our search for the best talent fully encompasses and embraces these values and principles.
Want to learn more about Springer Nature? Visit Springer Nature's website.
Home of the world’s best books.