Associate Multimedia Editor / Multimedia Editor
Springer Nature, New York, NY
A world-leading research, educational, and professional publisher.
Location: New York, Hybrid working
Scientific American seeks an Associate Multimedia Editor / Multimedia Editor to help strengthen our small, but mighty visual/audio storytelling team, to expand our presence on existing and new platforms, and increase the size and diversity of our audience. The editor will work closely with engagement, art and text editors in a collaborative and creative environment.
* Work on ambitious podcast and video projects, both short and long-form, that explain highly important scientific concepts and communicate deep narratives
* Report to the chief multimedia editor, and work with editors across Scientific American
* Work on video and audio distribution strategies for Scientific American’s website and social spaces
* Help coordinate our production operations, assisting in both field and studio shoots and recordings
* Contribute to team discussions, idea-generation, and editorial strategy
* Develop awareness of timely issues in science, science policy and the scientific community; help identify breaking news stories and trending topics for coverage
* Work with a wide range of freelance producers, directors, and sound recordists to ensure consistent deliverables that meet the high standards of quality and storytelling at Scientific American
Experience, skills and qualifications:
* 5+ years of experience in audio and video reporting, editing and post production
* A wide range post-production and editing abilities, demonstrating experience in the Adobe suite, particularly in Audition and Premiere
* Fluency with major social media platforms and how people use different platforms—particularly exploring and creating multimedia content and campaigns (Instagram Reels and TikTok)
* Be able to successfully juggle projects and people across different media and timescales
* Show a portfolio of recent, relevant work
* Work collaboratively and collegially
* Show a commitment to advancing diversity, equity, inclusion and justice
* Preferred experience in compositing/visual effects and/or sound design—and be comfortable directing the production of animation and/or audio post-production
* Passion for science and health storytelling is a plus
* Have at least one skill that you would like to develop professionally—and one skill you can gift to others on the team (more than that welcome!)
About Springer Nature
Springer Nature is an ambitious and dynamic organisation that is home to some of the best known names in research, educational and professional publishing. Working at the heart of a changing industry we are always looking for great people who care about delivering quality to our customers and the communities we work alongside.
In return you will find Springer Nature is a great place to learn from some of the best in the business, with a culture that empowers people to find solutions and act on their instincts.
Whether you are at the beginning of your career or are an experienced professional, we invite you to find out more about the roles we offer and explore our current vacancies.
At Springer Nature, we value the diversity of our teams. We recognize the many benefits of a diverse workforce with equitable opportunities for everyone. We strive for an inclusive workplace that empowers all our colleagues to thrive. Our search for the best talent fully encompasses and embraces these values and principles.
Want to learn more about Springer Nature? Visit Springer Nature's website.
We produce and distribute content through some of the world’s leading and most valued brands