Writer, Appeal Live
The Appeal, Remote, Work from USA
Work at The Appeal
Salary: Competitive salary with a generous benefits package and vacation policy. Salary range is $65-85k, based on experience.
About the Position
The Appeal Live is a streaming news show that is a co-production of NowThis and The Appeal. It features elected officials, high-profile advocates, and experts who discuss issues that impact our most vulnerable community members, including the pandemic and the resulting economic crisis, incarceration, and housing. The Appeal Live is hiring an writer who would be responsible for researching, drafting, and editing scripts for high-quality, accurate, news-responsive video products.
We’re looking for self-motivated, enterprising candidates who are strong generalists, with wide-ranging intellectual curiosity and a passion for social justice issues and accountability journalism. We’re looking for candidates who combine deep knowledge in one or more of our core coverage areas with enthusiasm for learning new things and building new expertise on the job. While many of our stories center on developments in a particular county or city that may not be getting a lot of national attention, candidates should be comfortable writing for a national audience in a way that brings out the broader themes and significance for readers around the country.
To build toward The Appeal’s vision for an America where stability and dignity are within everyone’s reach, we pursue stories with impact in mind, and favor stories that we can cover iteratively. We want to focus on stories that we can cover in several different forms, and that can be most useful to people who are in a position to make a difference. Because we want to focus on one set of topics and report on them deeply as a team, our stories are approved through a centralized, cross-vertical pitch process.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for researching, drafting, and editing scripts for high-quality, accurate, news-responsive video products.
- Additional responsibilities might also include researching, drafting, and editing content to be used by other verticals of The Appeal (e.g., The Point).
- Applicants should be capable of transforming an approved pitch into sparkling, accessible copy that requires little to no copy-editing or fact-checking, and working on tight (often same-day) deadlines.
- Applicants should have experience working in a fast-moving editorial environment, conducting online research and original reporting, and writing about complex public policy issues in a clear, storytelling-focused manner.
- Follow a consistent publication schedule established by the editorial team.
- Perform additional tasks as identified by the Editor-in-Chief, Managing Editor, and the Editorial Team.
- This role reports to the Story Development Director, Appeal Live, who in turn reports to the Managing Editor, Appeal Live.
- At least 3 years of writing experience as a reporter, editor, news producer, or other similar media experience. Five or more years experience is strongly preferred.
- Ability to write quickly, clearly, and accurately, often under tight time constraints.
- Attention to detail and emphasis on accuracy.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and creatively, problem solve, and manage multiple tasks concurrently.
- Willingness to work nights and weekends as needed.
- Familiarity with the use of social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, live streaming platforms) as storytelling tools.
- Hands-on experience with live streaming video, podcasting, TV radio, or other media (whether as host, writer, producer, etc.) is a plus.
- Legal experience or familiarity with the legal system is a plus.
- Familiarity with writing in newsletter format for daily and/or weekly distribution a plus.
- Commitment to cultivating diversity and lifting up unheard voices.
- Ability to travel occasionally for Appeal meetings and events.
This role requires a clear, demonstrated commitment to the mission of The Appeal, and an understanding that The Appeal thrives on highly coordinated, consistently messaged, rapid productivity across the organization.
Transparency is the default when it comes to work products at The Appeal. Everyone’s work is visible across the project to ensure coordination and communication.
Ours is a virtual workspace and requires comfort working in that environment. Applicants may live anywhere in the United States.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Appeal, a project of Tides, is an equal opportunity employer. True to our mission and values, a commitment to diversity and inclusion drives our work. We value diverse experiences, including with regard to educational background and legal system contact, and strongly encourage and seek applications of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where staff contributions are valued and celebrated, and where our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do their best work every day.
Applicants with Disabilities
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
Please send a cover letter, resume, references, and 3-5 examples of your work to email@example.com with “Appeal Live Writer” in the subject line. We will begin reviewing applications immediately.
About The Appeal
About The Appeal
The Appeal’s vision is an America where stability and dignity are within everyone’s reach. We produce reporting and analysis that public officials, journalists, advocates, and scholars use to solve the problems that keep everyday people up at night—problems that increase instability and diminish dignity.
We tell stories about the barriers that stand in the way of that vision—and the solutions needed to get there—through original reporting, commentary, explainers, live shows and events, white papers and other reports, newsletters, and podcasts. The Appeal elevates under-covered local stories of national relevance and connects the dots to similar developments in other jurisdictions. We focus relentlessly on the stories, policy ideas, and emerging patterns across geographies and levels of government, including federal developments. We identify trends that might otherwise be missing from existing news coverage.
We get our work in front of decision-makers and opinion leaders who can use it to make a difference, and we cover subsequent movement on these issues, building momentum for change. We define our success in how public officials, advocates, academics, and other journalists meaningfully engage with our work.
Want to learn more about The Appeal? Visit The Appeal's website.
Create the extraordinary.