The Criterion Collection, New York, NY USA
Work at The Criterion Collection
Level: Experienced (Non-Manager)
The Criterion Collection is looking to hire a full-time Editorial Manager to manage the day-to-day operations of a four-person team responsible for developing all text related to Criterion Collection home video editions and Janus Films theatrical releases, including essays, archival reprints, packaging and interface documents, sales materials, press releases, and newsletter communications.
Reporting to the editorial director and working closely with the director of production, the art and audience-development departments, and others throughout the company, the editorial manager will maintain and troubleshoot editorial production schedules, assuring smooth operations and good communications. The ideal candidate will have at least 3-5 years of editorial experience, including managing workflow, and be an energetic, enthusiastic juggler and flexible problem-solver.
• Manage all editorial work related to Criterion Collection home video publishing, including packaging, interface, and marketing materials for approximately six releases a month and several multifilm boxed sets per year.
• Create and maintain editorial production calendars, coordinating with collaborators across the company to assure that deadlines are clearly articulated and met and working with colleagues to resolve any issues that may threaten those goals.
• Oversee the proofing and approval processes for each element of every release, maintaining systems for trafficking proofs, applying changes, and making sure all necessary sign-offs are in place before closing.
• Work with colleagues at Janus Films to prepare text for posters, trailers, pressbooks, and other marketing materials for ten to twelve Janus Films theatrical releases per year.
• Collaborate with other departments to create or improve workflow systems when needed.
• Work closely with other members of the Criterion/Janus editorial team, and the art production manager, to assure timely editing, copyediting, proofreading, and closing.
• Copyedit one round of all Criterion Collection and Janus Films materials.
• Coordinate work of freelance copy editors, proofreaders, translators, and transcribers.
• Maintain systems for keeping track of reprint permissions and other invoicing.
Desired Experience and Skills:
• 3-5 years of editorial experience required, including managing editorial calendars, and a demonstrated aptitude and enthusiasm for problem-solving in a high-volume, high-pressure editorial environment.
• Top-notch organizational, project-management, and communication skills essential.
• Proficiency with the Chicago Manual of Style and a high degree of attention to detail essential.
• Substantive editing and writing skills a plus.
In addition to the desired experience, the ideal candidate will:
• Have a passion for classic and contemporary film and be familiar with the Criterion and Janus brands.
• Be committed to the values of equity, inclusion, and diversity.
• Maintain a high degree of personal and professional integrity and ethics.
About the Position and Criterion:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including medical, 401K matching, flexible hours, a generous vacation policy. We strive to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun-and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
An Equal Opportunity Employer, Criterion is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
Please submit a cover letter and résumé to email@example.com.
About The Criterion Collection
Since 1984, the Criterion Collection has been dedicated to publishing important classic and contemporary films from around the world in editions that offer the highest technical quality and award-winning, original supplements. No matter the medium—from laserdisc to DVD and Blu-ray to streaming—Criterion has maintained its pioneering commitment to presenting each film as its maker would want it seen, in state-of-the-art restorations with special features designed to encourage repeated watching and deepen the viewer’s appreciation of the art of film.
Want to learn more about The Criterion Collection? Visit The Criterion Collection's website.
Content is the cornerstone to all we do, and our audience is why we do it.