The Human Rights Foundation, Remote, Work from USA
Work at The Human Rights Foundation
Salary: Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. HRF offers medical, dental, and vision benefits.
The Human Rights Foundation (HRF) is seeking highly-qualified applicants for the position of Media Liaison. This is a unique opportunity to help a dynamic and high-achieving non-profit public relations team as it works to significantly increase HRF's global profile and share our advocacy with new communities.
This position reports directly to the Chief Strategy Officer, and will coordinate and carry out a press and media plan that supports HRF’s fundraising, constituency building, and advocacy objectives. The Media Liaison will work closely with the rest of the communications department as well as the policy and program teams.
- Regularly secure placement for HRF articles, scholarly works and opinion pieces in popular television, radio, print, and web outlets
- Call and email reporters and editors on a daily basis to inform them of HRF’s work, pitch stories, and share activities
- Coordinate interviews between activists and journalists year-round and especially at HRF events such as the Oslo Freedom Forum
- Helping to draft and edit content that reflects HRF’s positions, projects, and achievements
- Identify breaking news stories where HRF can support human rights activists in crisis
- Work with Norway, Mexico, and Taiwan-based colleagues to improve the regional profile of the Oslo Freedom Forum
- Establish and track targets of success on a quarterly basis with specific measurable results in terms of publications reached, quotations in newspapers, feature stories written
- Research and secure placement for HRF staff with regard to panels and keynote addresses at conferences and other relevant gatherings
- Identify and develop key journalists--in the U.S. and abroad--working in the human rights and anti-corruption space as helpful contacts or potential event attendees
- Manage a weekly media round-up for staff and supporters
- Use marketing software to send press releases to our networks
The Media Liaison will possess the ability to prioritize projects and tasks, meet multiple deadlines, and monitor several projects simultaneously. The candidate must be outgoing and highly detail-oriented with top-notch creative writing skills and an entrepreneurial spirit.
Please email email@example.com with your resume, cover letter (explaining why you are a good fit for this job and discussing your credentials) and a journalistic writing sample (could be an op-ed, an academic paper, a blog post, etc) using “Job Inquiry - Media Liaison Mediabistro” as the subject line.
- A strong understanding of and affinity for HRF's mission
- A passion for human rights, political freedom, and civil liberties
- A firm understanding of today’s media landscape and a knowledge of how news is produced in web, print, radio, television, and social media formats
- The ability to make well-informed decisions in targeting appropriate media outlets and reporters
- Attention to detail, a commitment to deadlines, and grace under pressure
- Strong skills working in teams and across many types of organizations – collaborator; problem solver; relationship-builder; and strong interpersonal skills
- Stress tolerance, resilience, and a sense of humor
- The ability to work under pressure with multiple and shifting priorities
- 1-2 years of experience in communications, journalism, corporate strategy, or public relations is helpful
- A personal network of journalists interested in politics and current events is helpful
- Fluency in Spanish, French, German, Norwegian, or Korean could be helpful
- Experience with software like Meltwater and MailChimp is helpful
About The Human Rights Foundation
We are a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization that promotes and protects human rights globally, with a focus on closed societies. HRF unites people in the common cause of defending human rights and promoting liberal democracy. Our mission is to ensure that freedom is both preserved and promoted around the world.
We focus our work on the founding ideals of the human rights movement, those most purely represented in the 1948 Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR), and the 1976 International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR).
Want to learn more about The Human Rights Foundation? Visit The Human Rights Foundation's website.
We produce and distribute content through some of the world’s leading and most valued brands