UJA Federation of New York, New York, NY
Work at UJA Federation of New York
Salary: The salary range for this role is $68,000 to $75,000; commensurate with experience and qualifications listed above.
Level: Experienced (Non-Manager)
About the Organization
UJA-Federation of New York is the largest local philanthropy in the world. For more than 100 years, we’ve brought New Yorkers together to solve some of the most pressing problems facing our community. Thanks to our network of hundreds of non-profits, we can leverage our expertise across any number of areas — including health and human services, arts and culture, and education — to care for Jews everywhere and New Yorkers of all backgrounds, respond to crises close to home and far away, and shape our Jewish future. Our reach extends from New York to Israel to nearly 70 other countries around the world, touching 4.5 million people each year.
The Communications Executive is responsible for supporting the Director in executing public relations initiatives on behalf of UJA-Federation.
Definition of Position
This position is responsible for helping to tell the story of UJA-Federation of New York to the press, the public and other key constituents. The position works directly on all UJA events, both on media relations and on-site management of press.
The executive looks for opportunities to promote UJAs work across the New York-area and around the world. As part of the overall Marketing and Communications Department, must have proven ability to work with numerous clients - both external and internal.
Events: Plans and implements publicity strategy for events across all fundraising and programmatic divisions.
- Support more than 15 large-scale (hundreds of attendees) events and dozens of smaller-scale fundraising and programmatic events a year, duties may include:
- oAttend events and manage press on site
- oWrite press releases and media advisories that are reviewed by honoree teams
- oLiaise with UJA department heads to develop event publicity strategy
- oCommunicate with external partners, including event honoree’s PR team
- oTailor press lists - reporters and number of reporters - per event, based on honoree, guest speaker, etc.
- oCreate post-event publicity item
- oWork with photographer to pick event photos for media
- Back-up for Director during crisis including drafting media backgrounders, liaise with media, and more as needed
- Meet with other departments to determine publicity potential of work across UJA and done by UJA nonprofit partners
- Write media pitches, press releases, media advisories, evites, and calendar listings, as well as feature stories for media.
- Manage PR agency of record on specific projects
- Maintains listing of press placements and maintains UJA’s media webpage
- Creates press reports for Executive Committee, President Advisory Council, and Board Member meetings
- Minimum five years' experience in public relations
- Experience with on-site events
- Strong writing skills with experience specifically in writing PR materials such as press releases, media pitches, talking points, FAQs, and more as needed.
- Excellent verbal and communication skills and ability to work with various clients and internal staff
- College degree, with a degree in a related field a plus
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills, with the ability to write, edit, and proofread communications and public relations materials
- Ability to write clear, persuasive, informative copy targeted to a variety of audiences
- Preferable: knowledge of the New York Jewish community and issues facing the Jewish community, Jewish history and traditions, and current affairs in Israel a plus
- Interest in the news gathering business, and in reading many publications across topics to stay abreast of current trends and issues.
Great Perks. Because We Appreciate Great Employees.
We offer a generous number of vacation days and have the Jewish holidays off as well. Fridays our offices close early (October to March at 3:00 pm and April to September at 4:00 pm). All so you can relax and recharge.
UJA provides a top-tier medical and dental plan, along with a flexible spending account. We also offer life insurance. And for a small cost you can take part in on-site yoga and exercise classes at our Manhattan office. Wellness matters to us.
Planning for Retirement
UJA employees can enroll in a pension plan and tax deferred annuity.
Classes, workshops, and compelling speakers will keep you at the top of your game.
We come together as a staff to commemorate holidays (from Rosh Hashanah to MLK Day), volunteer at nonprofits, and celebrate our accomplishments together. (Our chocolate chip cookies are legendary!)
Some More (Yes, more!)
We also offer a backup childcare program. And a commuter benefit plan. So you can get to work and feel good about it.
Also, a lot of the times, we’re wearing jeans.
About UJA Federation of New York
About the Organization
The world’s largest local philanthropy, UJA-Federation of New York’s mission is to care for Jews everywhere and New Yorkers of all backgrounds, to respond to crises close to home and far away, and to shape our Jewish future. Funds raised by UJA-Federation sustain the activities of local health, human-service, educational, and community agencies. Every day, these community-based organizations provide a multitude of services that improve and enhance people’s lives.