Senior PR Manager, Food Policy Program
Vital Strategies, New York, NY USA
Work at Vital Strategies
Level: Manager (Supervisor)
Vital Strategies, headquartered in New York City, is an international public health organization. Our programs strengthen public health systems and address the world’s leading causes of illness, injury and death. We currently work in 73 countries, supporting data-driven decision making in government, advancing evidence-based public health policies and mounting strategic communication campaigns. Vital Strategies’ priorities are driven by the greatest potential to improve and save lives. They include non-communicable disease prevention, cardiovascular health promotion, tobacco control, road safety, obesity prevention, epidemic prevention, environmental health, vital statistics systems building and multi-drug resistant tuberculosis treatment research. Our programs are concentrated in low- and middle-income countries and cities in Africa, Latin America, Asia and the Pacific. Please visit our website at www.vitalstrategies.org to find out more about our work.
Vital Strategies offers highly competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits. Vital welcomes and supports a diverse, inclusive work environment. As such, our commitment is to promote equal employment opportunities (EEO) for all applicants seeking employment. The salary range for this position is $88,000-$102, 666 USD. The candidate much have eligibility to work in the U.S. at time of hire. This position will be based in our New York City office.
The Senior PR Manager, Food Policy Program, is responsible for strategically promoting the Food Policy Program by executing a wide range of writing, communication, media relations and public relations activities which prioritize the program’s aims to influence key policy makers, researchers and civil society organizations at the global and regional level. The role will work with the program’s global partners and complement and respect efforts already led by partners in the program’s priority countries.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Drawing from public relations, digital communications and advocacy, design and deliver publicity and media strategies to advance the Bloomberg Philanthropies’ Food Policy Program.
- Write and edit compelling content, arrange distribution/placement across multiple platforms, including press releases, opinion editorials, press statements, story pitches, case studies, website content, social media posts, newsletters, speeches and other material that communicates the Program’s goals, activities, and impact.
- Seek opportunities to raise the visibility of Food Policy Program’s and its goals, activities, and impact; plan, develop and deliver publicity campaigns and events (including via strategic partnerships) and evaluate their success.
- Promote the Program’s outputs by disseminating research findings, evaluation data and country case study examples.
- Monitor news and follow trends in relevant areas to pitch ideas for stories and articles, including interviews and statements from key spokespeople across the program.
- Develop pitches and secure media placements in target media outlets and respond to media inquiries.
- Identify Program spokespeople and deliver media training support and briefings.
- Proactively establish, cultivate, and maintain relationships with the media to identify and execute pitch opportunities. Develop and maintain media lists.
- Build and maintain strong working relationships with Food Policy Program’s global and local partners (via the Food Policy Program’s in-country coordinators), members of the press and other key stakeholders; stay up-to-date and informed about the Program’s activities, proactively identify milestones, support press and communication strategies, and track/follow-up on media impact.
- Design and develop digital communication tools for the Program: maintain and manage the website and social media presence.
- Research speaking and thought leadership opportunities, draft pitches, and prepare staff for external engagements to increase our reach in front of target audiences.
- Plan and manage events, pitch speakers and panels for relevant conferences; manage award and speaker submissions, and other.
- Develop and update general and Program brochures, media kits, key messages, fact sheets, and other collateral material.
- Track communication activities, prepare, and submit PR reports.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience in communication, PR and/or marketing
Skills and Abilities:
- Superb writer (a writing assignment will be given), editor and storyteller. You have a knack for connecting with audiences through exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills required in English. Proficiency in Spanish will be highly regarded, but is not essential.
- Self-starter with ability to work independently and in cross-functional teams.
- Ability to bring new, creative ideas to communicating the organization's work.
- Ability to work fast, meet deadlines, manage multiple tasks, and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills, and ability to think creatively.
- Experience writing and preparing press and marketing materials, including press releases, fact sheets, pitches, one-pagers, web, newsletter and social content.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Proven success in pitching and securing press; developing and maintaining relationships with media.
- Experience with media intelligence platforms (i.e. Cision; Meltwater); email marketing services (i.e. Mailchimp); social media channels.
- Proficiency in Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign preferred
- Proficiency with content management systems (Wordpress, Statamic) preferred
- Proficiency in HTML and CSS is a plus
- Background in health or biological sciences communications is a plus
- Ability to communicate and collaborate effectively across time zones and platforms.
- 8-10+ years of relevant experience
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter and resume via the Vital Strategies Career page on our website. The position will remain open until filled. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application link: https://phg.tbe.taleo.net/phg01/ats/careers/v2/vie...
About Vital Strategies
Vital Strategies, based in New York City, is an international public health organization. We develop and oversee programs to strengthen public health systems and address leading causes of illness, injury and death, providing expertise in project implementation and management, strategic communications, epidemiology and surveillance, and other core public health capacities. Our specific programs include, tobacco control, road safety, obesity prevention, and activities to strengthen public health data systems and the use of public health data to guide policy and decision-making. Activities are based in low- and middle-income countries and cities in Africa, Latin America, Asia and the Pacific. Please visit our website at www.vitalstrategies.org to find out more about our work.
Vital Strategies offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits . Vital welcomes and supports a diverse, inclusive work environment. As such, our commitment is to promote equal employment opportunities (EEO) for all applicants seeking employment.
We produce and distribute content through some of the world’s leading and most valued brands
Creative Jobs For You
Senior Trials Analyst, Technology Delivery, Direct-to-Consumer
NBCUniversal, LLC, New York, New York