Wait, What?, New York, NY USA
Everything we create lives at the intersection of daily habit & human potential
Salary: This is a FT position, with the intention to be New York City– and office-based as soon as it’s safe. We offer a benefits package that’s generous and competitive with larger companies. Benefits include 3 weeks of company holiday (2 weeks in summer + one week between Christmas and New Years), 5 personal days, healthcare (PPO, vision and dental), short- and long-term disability, life insurance and 401(k). We work startup hours, but we also rest. We’re an anti-racist organization, committed to equity and diversity of all kinds — on our team, among our investors, and as represented on our media properties (our Copywriter will be a standard-bearer for diverse representation!). Most importantly, we only hire extremely kind people.
Level: Experienced (Non-Manager)
At WaitWhat, our Copywriter works with the written words we use to describe and market our audio, video and live events. You’ll also create longer-form articles and listicles that capture wisdom and ideas for a reading audience. You’ll work with a small committed team on a range of beloved media properties — covering entrepreneurship, mindfulness, creativity and more — all with one thing in common: they help humans grow and flourish. Your goal is to amplify the key ideas of WaitWhat's properties, and create the passionate habit to listen, watch, attend, read.
- You’ll write short, engaging headlines and blurbs to describe our content on many platforms: on websites, in podcast and video players, in newsletters and more
- You’ll write longer articles and listicles that curate and unpack our content in written form, for our platforms and for guests, developing a content strategy to share ideas across platforms
- You’ll work in tandem with our marketing and social media teams to create cross-platform campaigns for launches and special events, as well as day-to-day promotion
- You’ll work in tandem with our tech & product team to create UX-friendly copy for our websites and apps
- You’ll draft engaging email blasts to our communities and partners about new events, episodes and opportunities
- You’ll draft engaging descriptions of new and proposed products, working with creative teams to understand the perfect words
- And more! This is a growing company whose mission is to expand across platforms in an organic and authentic way. Writing engaging copy is one key to that growth. Expect to learn new platforms, tools and skills at a very fast clip.
Qualifications (please detail these in your cover letter or resume):
- Minimum of 5 years professional experience as a copywriter or a similar role. Your portfolio should include effective headlines & blurbs as well as longer-form articles that have been widely shared
- Experience with content strategy development
- Experience with SEO, keyword optimization and/or ASO
- Experience working with or for a top-notch social media and/or marketing team
- Line-editing or copy-editing experience
- Internal communication skills, both written and verbal, in English
- Organized and detail oriented, able to manage multiple tasks across multiple teams
Helpful (mention these in your cover letter if you have them)
- Project management training or experience
- Experience as an assigning editor
- Experience working with a UX designer
- Experience with audience segmentation, such as creating email segments
- Experience writing for media hosting platforms such as Art19, Soundcloud or YouTube
- Additional languages
About Wait, What?
WaitWhat is creating the most valuable independent portfolio of premium IP at the intersection of daily habit and human potential — with a contrarian strategy to scale.
Downloaded more than 70 million times, WaitWhat’s media properties have defined new genres in the areas of business (Masters of Scale with Reid Hoffman), wellness (Meditative Story) and creativity (Spark & Fire). In everything WaitWhat creates, it aims to elicit the contagious emotions of wonder, curiosity, and mastery — infusing its content with “Wait, what?” moments that spark curiosity and help us live at the top of our potential.
Founded by June Cohen and Deron Triff — the former TED execs who launched TED Talks and led the media organization for a combined 17 years — WaitWhat’s approach to content is unique in the industry, with a passion for inventing new business models and building inventive partnerships. Learn more about WaitWhat >>
Want to learn more about Wait, What?? Visit Wait, What?'s website.
Create the extraordinary.