Associate Writer, Testing, CNN Underscored
WarnerMedia/ CNN, New York, NY USA
Work at WarnerMedia/ CNN
Salary: competitive with benefits
Level: Experienced (Non-Manager)
Role focuses on the creation of best-of product review coverage for CNN’s reviews and recommendations site, CNN Underscored.
Tasked with finding, testing, and writing about the best products to help our readers find the things they need, the Associate Writer, Testing will research consumer products and services across a wide range of categories, quickly build expertise, thoroughly test products and write informative, concise best-of reviews. The Associate Writer is expected to focus on lifestyle, kitchen, home, and appliances to start, but broad knowledge and reportorial curiosity is required as our coverage is evolving.
Works with the Product Testing editorial team to research and develop coverage of product categories, assemble lists of the most relevant products to test, communicate with manufacturers and press relations agencies to obtain products, build and execute creative, thorough, realistic test plans, capture video, take photographs and write copy to build the best best-of reviews for CNN Underscored and CNN.com readers.
Develop content that fits with the CNN Underscored audience, but encouraged to test creative new angles on consumer product and service coverage and continue to expand the product testing program.
- Keep abreast of the consumer product landscape, working with editors and analytics staff to build content that addresses reader interest based on an understanding of search and key consumer trends.
- Thoroughly and creatively research, curate, test, write, edit and produce best-of review content, including video and photography as needed.
- Work alongside the editorial team to identify new coverage opportunities to help further differentiate CNN Underscored’s tech vertical
- Revisit, update and optimize existing content to keep abreast with new product releases, changes in key consumer trends, and analytical insights.
Level of Responsibilities/Accountability & Scope
- Deep knowledge of the latest consumer products and news, especially in the lifestyle, kitchen, home, and appliance spaces.
- Excels at short, medium, and long-term assignments that often require the application of independent judgment
- Work is subject to supervisory review at regular intervals
- Operates within the context of defined procedures
Education, Experience, and Requirements
- Must have significant experience in hands-on reviewing of consumer products, ideally in the context of head-to-head comparative reviewing and best-of recommendations.
- Should have significant experience in reporting; able to identify and contact sources, research unfamiliar categories, and identify and gather the most relevant information as required to build impactful stories.
- Should have an interest in ecommerce and an understanding of SEO principles and techniques.
- Previous experience with photography and videography, and the use of photo and video editing tools is a plus
- Must have the ability to break down potentially complex topics into an easily digestible format
- Flawless grammar & spelling
- Must be proficient in Google Docs, and comfortable using content management systems
- Strong creative and writing skills are required for this position. Must be detail-oriented, organized and have strong communication skills.
- Position reports to Senior Section Editor, Product Testing
- Exclusive WarnerMedia events and advance screenings
- Paid time off every year to volunteer for eligible employees
- Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
- Access to in-house learning and development resources
- Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands
Warner Media, LLC and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.
About WarnerMedia/ CNN
WarnerMedia is a powerful portfolio of iconic entertainment, news, and sports brands. We bring people, technology, and the world’s best storytellers together to drive culture and meaningful connection. We believe the enduring power of stories can open our eyes to the world, to each other, and to new and different perspectives.
Want to learn more about WarnerMedia/ CNN? Visit WarnerMedia/ CNN's website.
Create the extraordinary.