Director of Marketing and Communications
Wave HIll, Bronx, NY USA
Work at Wave HIll
Salary: We offer competitive benefits: major medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401k and pension, vacation, sick days, and personal days. Remote Work is one day remote and 4 days in the office once the new hire completes their probationary period,
Salary min: $90,000
Salary max: $100,000
Level: Executive (Director, VP, Department Head)
Wave Hill is seeking a Director of Marketing and Communications, a skilled strategist and talented wordsmith who will articulate the spirit and mission of Wave Hill to uplift its public profile, support organizational goals, and increase audience awareness and engagement. Reporting to the President/Executive Director, the Director of Marketing and Communications is responsible for developing effective seasonal and annual communication and marketing strategies both on and offline. The Director oversees Wave Hill’s website, social media engagement, email communications, and marketing campaigns. The Director will set KPIs, track performance, and lead analysis to guide strategy. This role is part of the senior management team and works closely with other departments to create engaging content and leads video and audio content development and production. The candidate should be a highly creative, big-picture thinker who can use storytelling to inspire audiences.
The Director of Marketing and Communications will lead a talented team of 3 staff members, an Associate Director, a Graphic Designer, and a Social and Digital Media Coordinator. We are looking for a seasoned, dynamic individual who can inspire and motivate others in a collaborative, positive, and inclusive manner, providing opportunities for growth and learning.
- Manage Wave Hill’s brand identity from a reputational and design perspective.
- Lead a collaborative, creative process with key stakeholders to shape messaging strategies and work directly with the Graphic Designer to develop.
- Keep abreast of website trends and innovations and look for ways to improve functionality. Work with web developers to implement changes. Interface with Wave Hill’s digital marketing consultants to optimize performance (SEO/SEM, set and track KPIs, etc.)
- Ensure web content is up to date. Manage website updates, integration of digital tools for use on-site, and ensure activation of accessibility tools and features.
- Shape the messaging calendar to meet audience engagement goals and to reflect the right balance of Wave Hill’s seasonal offerings.
- Track and analyze email marketing performance data, optimize segmentation, and control the pacing of outreach.
- Maximize the impact of digital content through such activities as content and design testing, personalization, and other continuous learning and improvement processes.
- Work with Associate Director of Marketing and Communications to proactively ensure that Wave Hill is well represented in the media.
- Brief senior staff and board to represent the organization on key issues and advise on political or community events affecting Wave Hill.
- Interface with such groups as Bronx Tourism, NYC& Co., and other tourism organizations, as well as the communication departments of our programming partners.
- Work with department heads to support the marketing and promotion of earned income areas such as private events, tours, corporate conferences, the cafe, and the shop.
- Work collaboratively with the executive staff and Wave Hill’s programming group to identify goals, strategies, stories, influencers, marketing alliances and other opportunities to promote their programs.
- Work with the Chief Philanthropy Officer to develop messaging for fundraising campaigns, promotion of internal events, and other donor engagement communications.
- Initiate new audience engagement strategies such as Wildverse and Faces of Wave Hill and develop content for these on an ongoing basis.
- Formulate and manage the annual department budget.
The successful candidate will be an experienced, creative, energetic, high-level strategist with a minimum of ten years of experience in marketing and communications in a senior role, preferably in a cultural institution, garden setting, or other non-profit. The candidate should feel equally comfortable in a team or a leadership role, be nimble in response to opportunities and remain calm under pressure. Other qualities include excellent written and verbal communication skills, good organizational and time management ability, a balanced and responsible approach to sensitive issues, strong writing and editing, a gift for story-telling, and excellent design. Familiarity with the Chicago Manual of Style. Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred. Experience interviewing individuals for media pieces and video and/or audio editing skills are all a plus.
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume in a single PDF document. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled, and only those receiving an interview will be contacted. NO CALLS, PLEASE.
Wave Hill is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information. Wave Hill is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, programs, and activities. To request a reasonable accommodation, contact email@example.com.
About Wave HIll
Once a private estate, Wave Hill is a renowned 28-acre public garden and cultural center with stunning views of the Hudson River and the Palisades, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. Wave Hill seeks to engender meaningful human connections to the natural world through world-class horticulture, environmental education, and contemporary art and performance. For more information on Wave Hill, please visit Wave Hill
Connectors. Creators. Experience Makers.