wikiHow, Remote, Work from USA
Work at wikiHow
Level: Entry Level
wikiHow is seeking talented, ambitious, writers to help us further our mission of teaching anyone in the world how to do anything. Our staff writer program is structured as a 2-year fellowship, which can be extended for multiple years. It is intended for people interested in pursuing a career in writing, ideally for recent college grads. This is a unique opportunity for someone who wants to hone their skills by writing for one of the most popular brands on the web that reaches billions of users across the planet.
As a staff writer for wikiHow, you will conceptualize, write, and revise various forms of content. You'll work with and learn from wikiHow's best-in class content management team. This remote position is for a full-time 40-hour work week during regular business hours (Pacific time). This is a paid position and includes basic benefits.
For this role, you should have a passion for lifestyle content (mental health and wellness, food, travel, sex and relationships, beauty, and more), but also a willingness to write about an even wider array of topics and trends — from how to bake a classic apple pie to how to make friends in middle school.
What You'll Experience
This isn't a cookie cutter copywriting or content marketing position. With this program, we aim for you to learn as you teach by tackling a diversity of topics with the guidance and support of the wikiHow team. Here's what our current and past staff writers have enjoyed about this program:
"Everyone I work with is a 10/10, and I love that I don't feel like a content machine where the only goal is to pump out articles as quickly as possible—I feel rewarded when I take the effort to publish something thorough, accurate, and in-depth."
"It's very cool knowing that people are out there googling all manner of topics and ending up on our site for guidance. I truly feel like my job is a valuable and interesting way to contribute to society!"
"I get the opportunity to research about different topics every day and learn new things! Also, it's really nice to say that I finally have a job writing that also gives me the flexibility to move if I need to."
What You’ll Do
- Produce beautiful, thoughtfully written prose in a fast-paced and supportive environment
- Work on a wide range of topics in a variety of formats
- Help readers by writing in a conversational, friendly tone that shows empathy for their problems
- Research articles to provide the best information for our billions of readers
- Participate in other content-related projects and initiatives as needed
What You'll Bring
- A college degree, preferably in English, Creative Writing, or another writing-intensive field
- Experience researching, writing, editing, evaluating, and organizing content
- Ability to write in a clear, engaging, and friendly tone across a variety of topics
- Motivation and drive to work independently
- Commitment to both the big picture and routine parts of completing a project
- Eagerness for constructive feedback and collaboration
- Dedication to providing the highest quality work
- Some experience writing content for the internet (Medium article, blog, long-form social media posts)
- A passion for helping people!
Send a brief introductory email with the subject line “Staff Writer - insert city you live in” to firstname.lastname@example.org. The email should include your resume, a short cover letter, and ONE writing sample, which can be any piece you’re comfortable sharing: short fiction, previous work, etc. If you have an example of published work intended for a broad audience, please share that.
We will be reviewing and contacting applicants about next steps. Keep in mind that we’re a small team processing a high volume of applications. While we do review every application, we unfortunately can’t guarantee a response to every applicant. We are very grateful for your time and interest in wikiHow!
wikiHow is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other protected category.
wikiHow, the world’s largest how-to website, is on a mission to help every person on the planet learn how to do anything. We are a hybrid organization that is deeply committed to making an impact in the world. Serving over 100 million users every month across nearly every topic imaginable and in 20+ languages, wikiHow has created a platform for people to learn, share, and explore new ways to do everything from the ordinary to the extraordinary.
Want to learn more about wikiHow? Visit wikiHow's website.
Create the extraordinary.