Editor, The Old Farmer’s Almanac
Yankee Publishing, Inc., Dublin, New Hampshire
Work at Yankee Publishing, Inc.
Salary: The Old Farmer’s Almanac is published by Yankee Publishing, Inc. Yankee Publishing, Inc. is 100% employee-owned and offers a generous benefits package, including health, dental, flexible spending accounts, paid holidays and vacation, 401K plan with employer match, and an Employee Stock Ownership Program (ESOP).
Level: Executive (Director, VP, Department Head)
For only the 14th time since it began publication in 1792, America’s most trusted and widely read annual, The Old Farmer’s Almanac, finds itself in need of an Editor. The ideal candidate is someone who can craft compelling narratives that maintain the brand voice and has an appreciation for fact-based information. The original and still successful mission of The Old Farmer’s Almanac is to be “useful, with a pleasant degree of humor,” and the editor’s role is to perpetuate this vision for the Almanac and its family of publications.
The editor’s role is one of leadership and has the following responsibilities:
- Lead in the development of creative content of all OFA-branded products.
- Establish creative standards and manage the creative staff and freelance contributors to produce all of The Old Farmer’s Almanac publications on schedule and on budget.
- Inspire talented writers, artists, photographers, and scientists and have enthusiasm for keeping abreast of and sharing ever-changing consumer interests, needs, and motivations.
- Provide direction and content development of the brand’s print and digital publications.
- With Publisher, participate in the leadership of OFA product team and work with New Media, Advertising, and other departments and partners to develop and implement overall OFA strategy.
- Generate ideas to increase engagement through new technologies, social media, webinars, video, and other digital media.
- With Publisher, evaluate our material and physical systems, staffing needs, philosophy, and plan for the future.
- Support the public relations staff in positioning and promoting branded publications and media and serves as a brand/publication spokesperson in TV, online, radio, and print interviews.
About Yankee Publishing, Inc.
Yankee Publishing (YPI) is an independent media company committed to creating outstanding products that serve our customers and enhance our communities.
As the publisher of Yankee, the Old Farmer’s Almanac, New Hampshire Magazine and Family Tree Magazine, YPI has roots in traditional print publishing. Over the last twenty-five years, it has expanded substantially into the digital arena and into preparing custom content for its clients.
Founded in 1935, YPI recently transitioned from family ownership to employee ownership through the sale of stock to the company’s Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP). It employs 75 talented professionals who work in its offices in Dublin and Manchester, New Hampshire. As a 100% employee-owned company, YPI can plan to remain independent for the long term.