OVERVIEW OF THE COMPANYFox TV StationsFOX Television Stations owns and operates 29 full power broadcast television stations in the U.S. These include stations located in 14 of the top 15 largest designated market areas, or DMAs, and duopolies in 11 DMAs, including the three largest DMAs (New York, Los Angeles and Chicago). Of these stations, 18 are affiliated with the FOX Network. In addition to distributing sports, entertainment and syndicated content, our television stations collectively produce approximately 1,200 hours of local news every week. These stations leverage viewer, distributor and advertiser demand for the FOX Network’s national content.
FOX 35 is looking for a News Photographer & Editor.
Orlando is the most exciting local news market in the US- second to none! That means our field crews are scheduled to work nights, overnights, weekends and holidays. Periodically, our photographers are asked to be on –call or work extended shifts to cover breaking news and severe weather, as well as exciting events like rocket launches from the Kennedy Space Center, NASCAR races at the Daytona International Speedway, and festivities at our world famous theme parks. Some of the duties include:
- Capture on digital media the images and sounds that illustrate news stories and edit those images into an interpretive picture story that clearly conveys the substance of the story to the audience with or without the reporter’s words within the time restraints of the broadcast. Demonstrate ability to “make slot”.
- Drive vehicle to locate news events such as fire or public gathering, or receive information over cell phone and/or scanner about location of news event
- Have a working knowledge of Bonded Cellular technology such as LiveU. Have the ability to connect ENG camera to Backpack and initiate live stream.
- Drive and exercise good judgment in operating the Electronic News Gathering (ENG) vehicle and equipment as required to include:
- Follow all guidelines in the Live Truck Safety policy.
- Handle large gross weight vehicle in heavy traffic, at night, and in bad weather safely and defensively.
- Understand current DOT rules and regulations for interstate travel.
- Understand AC/DC electrical circuitry.
- After finding a safe location, turn power supply and monitors on, and activate aircompressor to raise mast. Select channel for transmission of audio and video signals.
- Converse with master control operator while controlling lever to align antennae with receiving dish to obtain clearest signal for transmission of news event to the station.
- Lay electrical cord and audio and video cables between vehicle, microphone, camera and reporter, or person being interviewed, to allow for receiving of off-air signal and transmission of audio and video signals to the station.
- Set audio level to specifications.
- Demonstrate proficiency with computers and hand held wireless devices and use approved programs and applications (apps) to transmit video over internet protocol (IP) for use in the newscast.
- Record news event and related elements on digital media such as Sony SxS, SD and Micro SD cards.
- Operate all newsgathering and editing equipment used by Fox35 Photographers.
- Record and submit video and stills to various digital media platforms
- Must be able to affix a wireless microphone to staff and interviewees.
- Understand and perform basic lighting techniques.
- Understand and perform basic sound gathering techniques.
- Take advantage of all production techniques available to get the best true pictures available.
- Stay abreast of new equipment and techniques. Be proficient in new technologies as it relates to news gathering.
- Stay knowledgeable and familiar with procedures associated with remote news production.
- Work effectively with news management and newsroom personnel to develop content and production of newscasts.
- Maintain issued equipment in top working order including maintenance and cleanliness of vehicles.
- Take appropriate precautions for personal safety and to protect station equipment and vehicles against theft, damage and danger.
- Seek news contacts within the community and stay informed of current events.
- Notify the supervisor and any other necessary personnel when there are problems with equipment, which may impede your work.
- Notify the VP/News or Assistant News Director of any accident involving personal injury, no matter how minor. Any motor vehicle accident or incident in a company vehicle must be reported immediately and documented on an accident report by all employees involved within 24 hours of the incident.
- Interface with producers, assignment desk staff and management to maintain efficiency and quality.
- Regularly communicate with the assignment desk throughout shifts and notify when you have arrived on scene.
JOB RELATED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Positive Attitude
- Problem Solving and Decision Making
- Commitment to Excellence
- Job Skills
- Excellent Communication Skills
TYPICAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OF POSITION:
Must be able to lift and carry equipment, traverse walking distances, up and down stairs, and rough terrain, to complete essential job functions. Regularly bend, stoop and crouch to arrange, lift and transport photography related equipment. Regularly lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Regularly carry or wear 5-15 pound LiveU backpack camera for extended periods of time. Vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
QUALIFICATIONS: 2 years’ experience as a photographer/editor in a television
news department. Willingness and ability to travel for story assignments. Have a working knowledge of Bonded Cellular technology such as LiveU. Have the ability to connect ENG camera to Backpack and initiate live stream. Experience with LiveU, Adobe Premiere and BitCentral is a plus.
EDUCATION: College degree or two years equivalent experience in the broadcast industry.
OTHER: Must have valid driver’s license and maintain a clean driving record.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.
At FOX, we foster a culture and environment where everyone feels welcome and can thrive. We are deeply committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, including attracting, retaining, and promoting diverse talent across our company. We live in a diverse world, with different ideas and different perspectives that come together to spark new ideas and make great things happen. That means reflecting the diversity of the world around us is critical to our company’s success. We ensure that our viewers, communities and employees feel heard, represented, and celebrated both on screen and off.
Click here to learn more about the diverse communities of people behind our brands.