The Senior Budget Controller is responsible for creating and revising budgets, financial planning, analysis, administrative and compliance activities for assigned productions with the goal of ensuring that senior management has timely information to manage the business, and that policies and procedures adhere to federal and regulatory funding requirements.
Working closely with Senior Managers, the Budget Controller will establish, analyze, and maintain business unit annual budgets and long-term plans, as well as lead the forecasting and monthly financial analysis of department spend throughout the year. Additionally, this position provides financial analysis associated with our media and broadcast operations activities that may be used in the creation of budgets and identification of cost savings.
- Prepares discretionary and restricted program budgets within guidelines and in compliance with contract and grant restrictions in partnership with Senior Managers;
- Reconciles budget with actual spending (monthly, quarterly and annually), explaining and documenting variances and initiates revisions as required;
- Prepares financial reports (monthly, quarterly, annually and as requested);
- Ensures all internal charges are properly coded/ accounted for and appear on the General Ledger;
- Works on cross functional projects as the budgetary/financial liaisons;
- Enhances the understanding of "end to end" project workflows and basic technology solutions;
- Oversees contracting functions, including administering, modifying, closing out and terminating contracts in partnership with the Legal team;
- Other relevant duties, as assigned.
Qualified candidates will have strong analytical abilities and attention to detail. Additional qualifications include:
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in finance/budget management, analysis, and development;
- Proficiency with Excel spreadsheets and financial software, required;
- Experience in a TV/broadcast environment, preferred;
- Knowledge of Workday, preferred.
This is a hybrid position. The WNET Group reserves the right to change and/or modify the hybrid schedule at its discretion.
The WNET Group
825 Eighth Avenue
New York, NY 10019-7435
The WNET Group believes that diversity is about learning from others who are not the same, and that differences such as race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, age, physical abilities, religious beliefs, political beliefs, and other statutorily protected characteristics or other ideologies can enhance the work we do in public media. We believe that as a diverse and inclusive organization, recognizing the unique and multiple perspectives of our employees, we can better fulfill our mission. As a public media institution, our message is enhanced by our diverse workforce where everyone is empowered to make a difference.
WNET is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, religion, creed, color, age, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy or pregnancy related condition, marital and partnership status, familial status, arrest or conviction record, union membership, status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking or sex offense, unemployment status, caregiver status, credit history, salary history, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, an employee's or an employee's dependent's sexual and reproductive health decisions, as well as all other classifications protected by applicable laws.