ABOUT THE ROLE
Fast Company is looking for a Senior Editor who will be responsible for generating, assigning, and editing features and short-form stories for print, digital, and other editorial platforms, and help oversee and edit Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies and other annual recognition programs. They will work closely with staff and contributors, providing consistent and constructive feedback. Drawing on what would ideally be a broad background in business journalism, they will offer insight, perspective and sources on their areas of subject matter expertise to fellow editorial team members. They will moderate or host discussions at Fast Company editorial conferences, and represent Fast Company at outside events.
Salary range: $86,000 - $120,400 + bonus eligible. Compensation may vary based on relevant experience, skills, industry, and education.
This position is represented by the Inc. and Fast Company union the Writers Guild of America-East. Remote candidates will be considered.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Generate, assign, edit timely and compelling stories.
- Provide consistent and constructive feedback on drafts, providing specific advice on writing, reporting, organization, and tone.
- Advise editors and colleagues of newsworthy stories or editorial packages; support and/or lead coverage where appropriate.
- Moderate and host panels at Fast Company editorial events.
- Brainstorm and share resources with other staff.
- Manage all editorial aspects of signature awards programs, working closely with the executive editor, manager editor, and entire news team to develop compelling content around the programs, while coordinating with various departments, including but not limited to direct-to-consumer, integrated marketing, events, growth, and public relations.
- Contribute to Fast Company culture by upholding our ethical standards, collaborating with editors, and offering guidance to early-career staff journalists.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English or related field preferred.
- 5-10 years of editorial experience.
- Outstanding business news judgment across a wide range of industries, with a canny ability to identify Fast Company angles on the news.
- Strong communication, collaboration and presentation skills.
- Track record of accuracy and ethics.
- Penchant for creativity and critical thinking.