Summary of Position
The Security Officer is responsible for the security and safety of Newsday’s employees, visitors and assets. The Security Officer is the first line of defense in a comprehensive security protection plan to mitigate threats and risks that face the company, assets and employees daily. The Officer is always expected to maintain overall situational awareness while on duty by conducting physical patrols of facilities, responding to incidents, and utilizes technology to identify and mitigate risks.
Essential Duties & Functions
Job duties include but are not limited to:
- Patrols facilities and parking areas to prevent and detect signs of intrusion and ensure perimeter doors and windows into critical areas are secure. May be on foot or driving Company vehicle.
- Capable of working fixed post to provide security to all employees, visitors, and guest to preserve order and protect property.
- Respond to alarms, incidents and other occurrences.
- Security Officer will report any malfunctions or repairs required to senior staff to arrange for service.
- Inspects access system components for proper operation and integrity.
- Incident Report trending.
- Maintain current knowledge of all crisis management plans as well as communication escalation protocols.
- Responds to alarms and dispatched calls; and decides what actions to take based on situation, facts known and position parameters.
- Must make command life/death decisions relating to serious medical emergencies, fires, building evacuations, hazardous materials incidents and domestic or workplace violence disputes.
- Ascertain the location of sick or injured persons and coordinate and/or render immediate first aid treatment if appropriate.
- Inspects and maintains inventories of medical equipment and materials for proper operation during a medical emergency.
- Implement incident command protocols during high level incidents.
- Coordinate responding units to include local law enforcement, Fire Department, Emergency Medical Services and other emergency response agencies to ensure adequate response to mitigate any further injuries, damage or threats.
- Conduct initial investigations and determine if further action is required.
- Gather and preserve evidence to recreate the scene.
- Write reports of all incidents, irregularities such as property damage, theft, unauthorized persons or unusual occurrences. Enter reports in the case management system and assign management for follow-up as needed.
- Act as liaison among all departments and maintains contact with all levels of management.
- Attends training session as required on security related subjects.
Essential Job Knowledge & Skills
- A high school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Must possess a minimum of three years of law enforcement/Military experience.
- Must be registered NYS Certified Security Officer.
- Must possess and maintain certifications in CPR, AED and First Aid; Certified Emergency Medical Technician preferred.
- Excellent customer service orientation and interpersonal skills required.
- Must have excellent judgment and problem-solving abilities. Must be able to identify strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Excellent listening skills that demonstrate giving full attention to what others are saying.
- Must demonstrate ability to communicate clearly and professionally, conveying information effectively to all levels of management, employees, vendors, and customers. Strong written and verbal skills.
- Current working knowledge of Emergency Response procedures.
- Must be able and willing to work a flexible and varied schedule to include rotating shifts, extended hours, weekends, holidays, and late evenings.
- Must be adaptable and able to work in various locations as assigned.
- Must be able to work under extreme pressure and make command decisions during emergency situations.
- Must have a valid New York driver’s license to operate a company vehicle.
- (When posting for EMT positions) All must possess aptitude for and maintain first responder medical certification and possess a New York State Emergency Medical Technician Basic (EMT) certification.
- Have a minimum of three years’ experience as a certified EMT within an active 911 system.
- Maintain such certification as a condition of employment.
- Requires sitting, walking or standing for extended periods of time up to an entire shift.
- Position also includes bending, stooping, kneeling, reaching, pushing, pulling, lifting and driving as needed.
- Must be able to exert up to 50 pounds of force when needed.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, clean driving record, and reliable means of transportation. May be required to operate company vehicle.
- The worker is required to have visual acuity to determine the accuracy, neatness, and thoroughness of the work to make general observations of facilities or structures (i.e., security guard, inspection, etc.).
- This is an on-site position. Employees in this position are required to work on-site for all scheduled shifts.
- The hourly base rate range for this role is $23.50 - $25.00, commensurate with experience and other qualifications.
Newsday Media Group is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants and incumbents are selected, placed, trained, compensated and promoted without regard to actual or perceived sex, race, color, age, national origin, citizenship, marital or domestic partner status, military/veteran status, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity or expression, religion or religious creed, ancestry, physical or mental disability or handicap, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other characteristic protected by law. In addition, Newsday Media Group provides a reasonable accommodation for applicants/incumbents with disabilities. Please advise Human Resources if you require a reasonable accommodation.