Chief Editor, Physical Review B
The American Physical Society (APS) is a nonprofit membership organization devoted to advancing and diffusing the knowledge of physics through its outstanding research journals and scientific meetings, as well as its education, outreach, advocacy, and international activities. APS represents 50,000 members, including physicists in academia, national laboratories, and industry in the United States and throughout the world.
The Chief Editor of Physical Review B provides strategic and operational leadership for the journal, overseeing both the day-to-day running of activity and setting direction for long term goals. The Chief Editor also collaborates with the Publications Leadership and Management to develop the scope, direction and strategy of the journal, ensuring it remains relevant and sustainable.
The Chief Editor is responsible for line management of the journal's large team of experienced editors, liaising with operations and ensuring an efficient workflow. They also work closely with the Lead Editor to deliver a quality journal, with top-class content, that meets the needs of contributors and readers.
Moreover, the Chief Editor, PRB brings expertise and experience in a research field within the expansive domains of materials science and engineering, physics, or chemistry. Specific areas of interest encompass materials for energy applications, quantum information science, and soft matter.
We invite seasoned professionals in the field to explore this unique opportunity to make a lasting impact on the scientific community. Apply today to be a catalyst in shaping the future of our esteemed journal.
Strategy & Performance:
- Provide vision and direction for the journal in alignment with APS Publishing strategy
- Carries out horizon scanning for potential threats and opportunities
- Work in partnership with, and consult, the Lead Editor across strategic areas where relevant
- Serve as an ambassador for the journal, building the editorial team's connections with prominent researchers at conferences or through lab visits, either in person or virtually
- Responsible for the performance of the journal; regularly monitoring its performance, mitigating risks and issues; and planning future developments to grow and improve
- Uphold editorial criteria and design and execute strategies to attract high-quality submissions to the journal and, where appropriate, to the entire portfolio
- Work with the editorial team to lead on new development initiatives (internally and externally) that drive growth and sustainability of the journal
- Actively contribute to ensuring the journals are diverse, equitable, and inclusive
- As a member of the Editorial Management Team, advise the Executive Editor and CPO, foster internal communication, and support initiatives as needed
- Oversee the day to day running of the journal and the operational processes and procedures underpinning activity, ensuring they remain effective and efficient and produce high quality content
- Manage the hiring, onboarding, and training of new editorial staff and academic editors, with support and input from the Lead Editor
- Lead and manage the editorial team, including APS staff editors and academic editors, establishing and communicating transparent expectations for performance and supporting the career development of staff members
- Support the Lead Editor in the selection, recruitment and onboarding of editorial board members
- Work with the Lead Editor and provide them with guidance on the effective running of the board
- Ensure consistent acceptance criteria, high ethical standards, alignment with Physical Review editorial policy and practice, and competitive processing times
- Manage the review and appeals process for submissions
- Act as primary journal contact for upper editorial management (Executive Editor and Chief Publication Officer) and other departments
- Work with the editorial team and other APS departments to identify sponsorship opportunities, promote journal content and initiatives through a variety of outlets, including social media
- Assume responsibility for allocating the journal's annual travel budget
- Maintain and promote a productive and positive work environment focused on professional excellence and in alignment with APS Core values
- Handle original manuscripts on a relevant research area for the journal, at a level consistent with the managerial demands of the role
Scope & Relationships:
- The Chief Editor reports to the Executive Editor or the Associate Executive Editor
- 0-10 Direct Reports; 0-20 Indirect Reports, dependent on journal
- Collaboration with Publications Leadership and Management
- May manage consultant editors (0-20)
- A PhD is required in Physics, Materials Science and Engineering, Chemistry, or a related scientific field and at least one year of postdoctoral experience.
- At least 5 years of scientific editorial experience, preferably in a research area relevant to the journal
- Impeccable track record applying scientific expertise and broad understanding of research toward the evaluation of manuscripts in a critical, thoughtful, and independent manner
- Proven track record of successfully leading projects, supervising teams and mentoring staff
- Excellent stakeholder management and interpersonal skills with a proven track record of making the right connections and building networks both internally and externally
- Commitment to quality peer review
- Uses data and metrics effectively to assess performance
- Proven track record of identifying opportunities for improvement and planning/executing delivery plans to implement those improvements
- Excellent knowledge of the scientific research landscape in the areas of coverage
- Enthusiasm for learning about new research areas and trends in scientific publishing
- Strong sense of integrity and a commitment to a diverse and inclusive research community
- Ability to make prompt independent evaluations and decisions
- Able to manage multiple priorities
- Impeccable writing and communication skills
APS follows a "remote first" work model, with a majority of staff working primarily from remote work locations. Although this is a "remote first" position, it requires regular and frequent travel to meet with APS publications, editorial, and other staff. Residence in the United States is required. Relocation assistance will not be provided.
In addition to frequent travel to meet with APS staff, this position requires attendance at leadership, scientific, and professional meetings and events as part of its core responsibilities, (up to 20%) to attend conferences and events, and to interact with researchers at research institutions and universities.
The salary range for this role considers the factors that are considered in making compensation decisions, including but not limited to skill sets, experience and training, and other business and organizational needs. APS's Compensation Philosophy is to manage salaries at the midpoint of the market. Therefore, it is the practice to hire within the entry - midpoint range.
Full Range: $120,000k/year - $180,000k/year (USD)
Target Range: $120,000k/year - $133,500k/year (USD)
Amazing 2024 Benefit Offerings:
- Flexible schedules and ability to work remotely
- 8% employer-paid retirement contribution
- Investment advisement services: 100% employer paid
- Medical benefits: PPO or HDHP option
- Employer contribution to FSA or HSA account, eligibility based on medical plan enrollment
- Lifestyle Spending benefit up to $2000.00 (USD) - 100% employer paid
- Dental benefits: individual coverage 100% employer paid
- Vision benefits: individual and dependent coverage 100% employer paid
- Basic Life & Accident insurance: employee coverage 100% employer paid
- Supplemental Life & Accident insurance, including spouse & dependent child(ren) coverage
- Disability insurance: employee coverage 100% employer paid
- Voluntary Accident & Critical Illness insurance
- Healthcare, Commuter & Dependent care flexible spending accounts
- Vacation: 15 days annually
- Generous holiday leave: 17 paid days of significance; includes one week closure at the end of December
- Personal leave: 4 days annually
- Volunteer leave: 1 day annually
- Sick leave: 10 days annually
- Bereavement & Compassion leave: 2 -15 days based on loss
- 12 weeks employer-paid family leave
- College tuition reimbursement plan
- Job related seminar & continuing education
- Professional Certification/Recertification 100% employer paid
- Training and professional development; access to LinkedIn Learning on-demand courses
- Employee Assistance Program
- Mindfulness Meditation: live and on-demand classes
- APS does not offer relocation assistance/costs
The American Physical Society is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of American Physical Society not to discriminate or allow the harassment of employees or applicants on the basis of race, religious creed, immigration status, alienage or citizenship, religion, color, ethnicity, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, protected veteran status, protected military status, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, predisposing genetic characteristics, ancestry, domestic violence victim status or any other characteristic protected by law with regard to any employment practices, including recruitment, advertising, job application procedures, hiring, upgrading, training, promotion, transfer, compensation, job assignments, benefits and/or other terms, conditions, or privileges of employment, provided the individual is qualified, with or without reasonable accommodations, to perform the essential functions of the job. This policy applies to all jobs at APS. The American Physical Society is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request a reasonable accommodation, please contact APS Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The "Know Your Rights: Workplace Discrimination is Illegal'' poster, prepared by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), provides an overview of several laws that protect you from discrimination on the job, and several rights are afforded to you by these laws. The "Pay Transparency Non Discrimination Provision," prepared by the U.S. Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP), provides an overview of several protections implemented to protect individuals working under federal contracts from discrimination when inquiring about or discussing compensation; these protections apply to all employees and applicants.
The APS has a "remote first" concept that promotes equal treatment and equal access, independent of physical work location, with a majority of staff working primarily from remote work locations.
Please see job description