Summary of Position
Pack your bags: Newsday’s lifestyle team has an opening for a reporter to cover Long Island, NYC and upstate travel news, daytrips, weekend destinations and other places of interest to LIers – through stories, videos and social media content.
We’re in search of a curious, travel-savvy journalist who can curate lively itineraries for Newsday readers taking close-to-home vacations and to localize national travel trends. From inexpensive overnight trips to ways Long Islanders can play tourist at NYC attractions and events, you’ll develop a range of coverage that appeals to modern travelers and helps Newsday reach new and diverse audiences.
Coverage entails reporting and writing deep-dive guides to LI destinations like Shelter Island and Montauk, as well as exploring the Catskills, Hudson Valley, Adirondacks and Finger Lakes regions. Assignments also will include breaking travel industry news, soliciting reader tips and alternative digital storytelling formats.
Essential Duties & Functions
- Scout attractions and destinations in Nassau/Suffolk counties, NYC and upstate NY, interviewing sources for stories and shooting photo/video content. Reporting includes a range of settings — campgrounds, theme parks, Airbnb, shops, restaurants, state parks, etc.
- Pitch and produce daily and weekly stories with companion video/social content for cross-platform storytelling.
- Report and write quick-turnaround, newsy shorts on industry news with context that matters to Long Islanders.
- Collaborate with the Lifestyle, Restaurants and Business teams to coordinate daily coverage between desks and update standing seasonal guides to key destinations, including places such as Greenport and Long Beach.
Essential Job Knowledge & Skills
- At least three years’ experience. Writing experience focused on travel and food a plus.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule — some night and weekend assignments are required, as well as occasional overnight trips.
- A valid driver’s license and car, with the ability to drive to assigned locations throughout Long Island and the tri-state region.
- Proficiency in shooting iPhone photos and video for editorial use.
- Comfortable making appearances on video and social platforms.
- Strong organization and time management skills, including the ability to prioritize and multi-task while working on multiple assignments. Meticulous research skills and an eye for mapping out all the logistical aspects of trip- planning are essential.
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple assignments simultaneously while meeting aggressive deadlines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
- The hourly base rate range for this role is $31.89 - $52.32, commensurate with experience.
- This position is represented by the Graphics Communication Conference, PPPWU.
- Employees are generally required to work in the office and/or out in the field a minimum of three (3) days per week.
- Ability to travel throughout Long Island as related to the assignment being covered.
- A driver’s license in good standing and reliable means of transportation are required.
- Ability to work a flexible and varied schedule to include weekends, holidays and extended hours as needed to support business needs.
Newsday Media Group is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants and incumbents are selected, placed, trained, compensated and promoted without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, or disability or other classifications protected by applicable law. In addition, Newsday Media Group provides a reasonable accommodation for applicants/incumbents with disabilities. Please advise Human Resources if you require a reasonable accommodation.