Seattle Times management and guild leaders about a possible new contract that includes some favorable concessions for newsroom employees.
The package includes:
- A 1.5% wage increase effective January 2011
- Seven furlough days in 2011 (which more than negates the raise, but still)
- Another 1.5% pay increase in 2012, with a maximum of 8 furlough days that year
It also would guarantee no layoffs and no cutting of part-timers’ hours for six months, and create a unique idea: a “furlough bank” so that any employee who takes more than the required amount would be able to apply the credits to a later furlough or donate it to an employee facing hardship.
The proposal goes to a vote January 6.
- Top Journalism Conferences for Students & Educators to Attend in 2014
- CareerCast Announces Most Stressful Jobs of 2014: Newspaper Reporter & PR Exec Make the List
- Downsized Journalist Raises More Than $7,000 to Pay Rent
- Journalism Student Defends Major: 'We're Headed Into an Industry That is Alive and Kicking'