MSNBC continued its run as the #2 cable news network in July, second to Fox News in both total day and primetime. Despite a big news month, MSNBC was still down in both dayparts compared to last year, however.
The ratings for July, 2012:
- Primetime (Mon-Sun): 713,000 Total Viewers / 221,000 A25-54
- Total Day (Mon-Sun): 432,000 Total Viewers / 142,000 A25-54
July was a big news month, led by the tragedy in Colorado, and ending with the Olympics. MSNBC had some live Olympics programming at the end of the month, which slightly affected the monthly numbers in the network’s favor. In Total Day, MSNBC was down -3% in Total Viewers and down -11% in the A25-54 demo compared to July 2011 (with Ol;ympics excluded, MSNBC is down -6% in total viewers and -17% in the demo). In primetime, the network was down -5% in Total Viewers and -11% in the demo.
Some highlights for MSNBC included 12 PM show “Now with Alex Wagner,” “Andrea Mitchell Reports,” “NewsNation” and “Martin Bashir,” all of which improved on their July 2011 ratings in total viewers. “The Last Word” also improved in both total and demo viewers compared to last year. That said, those shows were down slightly in the demo.
On the other side of the coin: “Rachel Maddow” and “The Ed Show” were down compared to 2011, and the new 3 PM show “The Cycle” clearly has some work to do, and is down double digits compared to “Dylan Ratigan” a year earlier.
Read MSNBC’s release after the jump.