Fusion, the upcoming cable channel from ABC News and Univision, will launch Monday October 28, the companies say. The channel will launch on a number of pay-TV operators, including Cablevision, Charter and Cox.
Fusion will have a familiar face leading its primetime lineup: “Noticiero Univision” and “Al Punto” anchor Jorge Ramos, who will host “America with Jorge Ramos,” every weeknight at 8 PM. it will be Ramos’ first English-language newscast. At 10 PM weeknights the channel will air “Open Source with Leon Krauze,” a live one-hour talk show covering both serious and silly news.
There will also be a nightly satire block, led by former “Daily Show” EP David Javerbaum. The first show in the block will be “Sports Bar,” a sports/comedy talk show. The channel is also working with the Jim Henson Company and animation company ShadowMachine on another program for the block. Yes, Fusion may be getting a nightly dose of Muppets.
The afternoon and early evening will feature programs anchored by Alicia Menendez at 7 PM and “D.N.A.” (Real Name Derrick N. Ashong) at 6 PM. The weekends will feature original specials and documentaries.
Importantly, the channel also seems to be seeking a slightly broader audience than just young Latinos. It now plans to focus on Millennials more generally, in addition to Latinos.
“We believe our programs – visually compelling, creatively produced and laced with humor and irreverence – will resonate with Latinos and non-Latinos alike,” said Beau Ferrari, acting President for Fusion in a statement. “Fusion’s unique combination of news, satire and original series is a completely new offering for the most exciting and fastest-growing group of young people in the country.”
Fusion Unveils Programming to Engage and Champion a Diverse America
New Network Launches Monday, October 28
Jorge Ramos and Leon Krauze – Two of the Most Popular Journalists in America – Lead Evening News Programming
David Javerbaum, 12-Time Emmy Award-Winner and Former Executive Producer of “The Daily Show,” to Lead Original Nightly Satire Block
Original Series and Documentaries on Weekends in Primetime Round Out the Week
(AUGUST 1, 2013 – MIAMI, FL) Fusion, the groundbreaking news, information and lifestyle network for Latinos and millennials, today announced the channel will launch in millions of households nationwide. Fusion also unveiled key parts of its programming lineup featuring news, satire and original series.
“We believe our programs – visually compelling, creatively produced and laced with humor and irreverence – will resonate with Latinos and non-Latinos alike,” said Beau Ferrari, acting President for Fusion. “Fusion’s unique combination of news, satire and original series is a completely new offering for the most exciting and fastest-growing group of young people in the country.”
Jorge Ramos, the #1 Spanish-language television anchor, and Leon Krauze, one of the most popular local broadcasters in America, will lead Fusion’s primetime news block.
David Javerbaum, 12-time Emmy Award-winner and former Executive Producer and Head Writer for “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart,” will oversee content for Fusion’s nightly block of satire programming and develop the next generation of comedy for the network. (READ HERE: Comedy Heavyweight David Javerbaum Joins Fusion).
Original series, specials and documentaries on weekend nights round out Fusion’s signature mix of current events, information, entertainment and humor.
Six of the nation’s biggest cable distributors have already agreed to carry the network, including Cablevision, Charter, Cox, AT&T U-verse, Verizon FiOS and Google Fiber.
Fusion’s digital presence will come alive in October online and across mobile screens and tablets via video, graphics, memes and dogged journalism. At launch Fusion will reach a huge community of people across every popular social media network, fueling its ability to share compelling stories, break news and make people laugh. Over 4 million people are already following Fusion online.
Fusion’s primetime news programming will include:
“America with Jorge Ramos” – the flagship program in Fusion’s primetime lineup, “America with Jorge Ramos” will be a bold, hard-hitting hour with Jorge Ramos, the legendary anchor of “Noticiero Univision,” Spanish-language television’s #1 newscast, and political affairs show “Al Punto.” Ramos will bring his passion, intensity, and fearlessness to the biggest stories of our time – from immigration and marriage equality to gun control and the criminal justice system – and do it for the first time in English. An audience hungry for a sharp, fair and unbiased discussion absent from the national dialogue will find it every night on “America with Jorge Ramos.”
Ramos is frequently listed among the most influential, respected and admired Latino leaders in the country. More than 2 million people tune in to his daily broadcast and almost a million to his Sunday morning program. Airs weekdays at 8:00 p.m. ET
“Open Source with Leon Krauze” – Obsessively well-informed, passionately curious, energetic and fun, Krauze will break down on air what you’ve been talking about all day. The live one-hour program will address a wide spectrum of topics, from politics, the war on drugs and soccer to celebrity meltdowns, video games, movies and comic books. Airs weeknights at 10:00 p.m. ET
Krauze is a Mexican-born journalist based in Los Angeles. He currently anchors two of the most-watched local newscasts in the country, KMEX’s broadcasts at 6:00 p.m. and 11:00 p.m.
Fusion’s original nightly satire block will include:
· “Sports Bar” (working title) – a nightly sports comedy talk show hosted by two obsessive sports fanatics and one sports skeptic from the acclaimed comedy troupe the Harvard Sailing Team. Using the format, energy, and spontaneity of sports talk radio combined with the topical humor characteristic of late night comedy and improvisational performance, “Sports Bar” will include beyond-in-depth and humorous discussion of recent sports news, interviews with athletes and commentators, comedy sketches, special guests and innovative opportunities for audience interaction. Airs Monday through Thursday at 9:00 p.m. ET
· A second primetime half-hour of innovative topical satire programming – created by Javerbaum and produced in conjunction with The Jim Henson Company (“The Muppets”) and ShadowMachine (“Robot Chicken”) – will be announced in the weeks ahead.
Saturday and Sunday nights on Fusion will be appointment viewing for original series, specials and documentaries.
“Strange Medicine” – a half-hour 12-part quest to find the strangest cures and most exotic medicines from around the world. Host Dr. Juan Rivera will search for and investigate alternative remedies and treatments, revealing their benefits and utility (or lack thereof). It’s Heart of Darkness meets River Monsters as Dr. Juan goes to the ends of the earth to separate fact from fiction in alternative medicines.
· “Back Home” – From executive producer Diego Luna and Canana (“Milk,” “Y Tu Mamá También,” “Frida”), “Back Home” follows a different tastemaker each week on an epic and emotional voyage to their family’s country of origin. For some, it’s their first chance to set foot in the place their parents or grandparents were raised. For others, it’s a chance to make a long overdue return. Every episode is an intimate journey of self-discovery that sheds a light on the power of family, friends and our roots.
For two hours every weeknight from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. ET, Fusion will be home to new voices, witty analysis and thought-provoking commentary.
· Alicia Menendez’s (currently untitled) program will be a fresh take on stories at the intersection of sex, money and politics. She’ll deliver her signature brand of witty and relatable analysis and commentary, leading a thought-provoking conversation with celebrities, newsmakers, journalists, experts and lively panel discussions. Menendez will take a closer look at the topics – from home ownership and “hook up culture” to immigration, marriage equality and student loans – that shape the daily lives of Fusion’s audience. Airs weeknights at 7:00 p.m. ET
Prior to joining Fusion Menendez was a host and producer for HuffPost Live, co-hosted “Power Play” on Sirius XM Radio and wrote for NBCLatino.com.
“D.N.A.” – A fast paced, interactive show designed to entertain, inspire and inform. Every night Derrick N. Ashong (aka “D.N.A.”) will explore a wide variety of socially relevant issues spanning the arts, society, technology, business and politics. Born in Ghana and raised in Saudi Arabia, Qatar and New Jersey, Ashong will share his unique perspective on issues that impact the next generation. Airs weeknights at 6:00 p.m. ET
An accomplished broadcaster, musician, and digital media influencer, D.N.A is a former host for Sirius XM and Al Jazeera English’s “The Stream.”
Mariana van Zeller will be the chief correspondent for Fusion’s enterprise investigative unit that will get to the core of underreported issues that matter most to the Fusion community.
Fusion will announce additional programming and talent deals leading up to October 28.
- Jorge Ramos: 'It's Incredible What Happens When You Don't Need Translation'
- Fusion Added to Dish Network, Shifts Programming
- Fusion CEO: Young Hispanics Don't 'Want Us to Have a Separate Dialogue With Them'
- Fusion Boss Highlights 'Exceptional' Week for New Network