- ABC News is strengthening its investigative unit, adding the NY Daily News‘ James Gordon Meek and the NY Post‘s Josh Margolin. ABC also promoted Aaron Katersky and Lee Ferran. More information after the jump.
- Fusion, the upcoming cable news channel from ABC and Univision, is adding Maritza Puello as the managing editor for Newscore. Puello joins Fusion from NY1 Noticias.
- NBC’s “Today” has announced one of its May sweeps stunts: a cross-country road trip. The five lead anchors will host the show from Hawaii, Yellowstone, Chicago, Orlando and a mystery city from may 20-24. Meanwhile, ABC’s “GMA” will get a “Dancing With The Stars” boost.
Ben Sherwood email:
I am writing with news about our award-winning investigative team.
I’m very happy to announce that James Gordon Meek will join our Washington bureau next month as an investigative producer. James has spent the better part of the past two decades covering national security and politics.
In 2006, while a reporter for the New York Daily News, James was the first to report that the FBI had foiled a plan to bomb New York City’s tunnels in an effort to flood lower Manhattan.
His reporting on the death of Army Private First Class David Sharrett in Iraq after a five-year investigation forced the Army to admit that Sharrett’s own commander shot him and left him to die. Those responsible were finally held accountable last year.
Since 2011 James has served as Senior Counterterrorism Advisor and Investigator for the House Committee on Homeland Security, grappling with some of the top threats to our country, including the bombing at the Boston Marathon.
His vast knowledge of national security issues and skills as a deep-diving reporter will prove to be powerful assets on our team.
Today Josh Margolin joins ABC News as a senior investigative reporter. Josh is a hard-charging journalist whose enterprise reporting breaks news and makes an impact.
You may recall his cover story for the New York Post earlier this month, revealing that several prominent political figures were allegedly plotting to rig the New York City mayoral election. His story hit newsstands just as several of those officials were arrested.
A fearless watchdog, Josh has also exposed that City Hall officials were trying to suppress a critical report about New York City’s 9-1-1 emergency dispatch system.
While at the Star Ledger in New Jersey, Josh led the team that was recognized with a Pulitzer Prize for breaking news reporting on the resignation of former Governor James McGreevey.
Competitive, aggressive and relentless — Josh is a perfect addition to our powerhouse I-Team.
I’m also please to share that ABC News Radio correspondent Aaron Katersky will expand his duties to include investigative reporting.
From the Newtown shootings to Superstorm Sandy and most recently the Boston bombing, Aaron reporting has proven indispensable to our efforts and he will now formally contribute to the overall investigative output of ABC News.
I am also pleased to announce that Lee Ferran take on a larger role within the investigative unit as the new editor of “The Blotter” on ABCNews.com.
A dynamic reporter, Lee has a keen eye for compelling stories. After coming to ABC News in 2007 as an intern, Lee joined the digital team and later became an investigative reporter for the Ross Unit in January 2011.
As news was breaking overnight in the Boston bombing, Lee played a key role working around the clock to make sure our digital coverage was accurate and balanced.
ABC News has long valued investigative journalism, and Brian Ross, Rhonda Schwartz and their talented team have repeatedly been recognized with the most prestigious awards in journalism including many Emmy, Peabody, DuPont and Murrow Awards.
I am confident these new additions, with ongoing support and leadership from Eric Avram, will take our investigative reporting to new heights.
Please join me in welcoming Josh and James to the ABC News team and congratulating Lee and Aaron on their expanded roles.
- The Ticker: CBS News, Webby Awards, Beck
- The Morning Ticker: Everest Doc, Cooper Stalker, Jennings Move
- The Morning Ticker: Sorkin's Apology, Walters Proclamation, Comcast Opposition
- The Morning Ticker: Velshi Expanding, 'Today' Gets SiriusXM, CEOs Score