KCOP, the FOX owned MyNetworkTV affiliate for Los Angeles, has announced plans to eliminate news from its lineup in September.
A FOX spokesperson confirmed, the KCOP 7:00 p.m. news will end on September 20, a little more than a year after it was launched. The 11:00 p.m. news, which debuted in 2002, will end on September 22.
No layoffs are expected from the move, since KCOP is operated as a duopoly with FOX’s KTTV. KTTV produces the KCOP news broadcasts.
FOX was quick to point out KCOP’s sister station KTTV has added 7 hours of local news per week with the launch of its 5:00 p.m. news two years ago. In April 2010, the KTTV morning show was expanded by a half-hour from 4:30 to 5:00 a.m.
The 7:00 p.m. news will be replaced by “The Simpsons” while “The King of Queens” will air at 11:00 p.m.
Earlier this month, WWOR canceled its nightly newscast and replaced it with “Chasing New Jersey,” a freewheeling 30-minute show focused on politics and state issues in New Jersey. Sen. Robert Menendez (D-NJ) and Rep. Frank Pallone (D-NJ), as well as the Bergen Record, have called for the station’s FCC license to be revoked.
“You’d think these politicians and the editorial writers of the Record would encourage the development of innovative newsgathering, especially during a financial crisis,” Doctor said in a recent on-air editorial (video above). “Maybe I missed it, but despite these huge newspaper cutbacks [in New Jersey], not one member of the state’s Congressional delegation expressed any concern. Maybe they should take a page from the students and faculty at Montclair State, who have created a facility to rescue journalism and pave a real path for the future. Maybe after watching ‘Chasing New Jersey,’ you’ll see a little glimpse of that future, and wonder why anyone would criticize us for trying something new.”
New Jersey Senator Robert Menendez (D) has added his voice to those calling for the FCC to look into FOX owned MyNetworkTV affiliate WWOR before renewing its license.
In a letter addressed to acting FCC chairwoman Mignon Clyburn, Menendez wrote, “In light of WWOR’s decision to drop their nightly news programming, a decision which affects millions of New Jerseyans, it is becoming increasingly critical that the FCC make a determination about WWOR’s license and whether they are adequately serving New Jersey as the law and FCC rules stipulate. From my perspective, News Corporation is not.”
Last week FOX announced it was dropping the station’s lone newscast at 10:00pm and replacing it with “Chasing New Jersey,” a 30-minute show focusing on “issues driving conversations” in the state.
Yesterday, WWOR vice president and general manager Dianne Doctor defended the switch saying, “Based in Trenton, ‘Chasing NJ’ is a news program immersed in all aspects of the state. Politics. People. Issues. It’s enterprise journalism that no one else is doing.” Read more
U.S. Rep. Frank Pallone, a Democratic New Jersey congressman running for Senate, is asking the FCC to revoke the license of WWOR, the state’s only high-powered commercial TV station.
FOX, which owns WWOR, announced last week it was pulling the station’s only newscast and replacing it with “Chasing New Jersey” a 30-minute show focused on “issues driving conversations” in the state.
Pallone voiced his thoughts on twitter by saying, “WWOR’s cancellation of nightly news fails New Jerseyans who want & deserve local news coverage. FCC must take action.”
>UPDATE: WWOR vice president and station manager, Dianne Doctor said in a statement sent to TVSpy, “Based in Trenton, ‘Chasing NJ’ is a news program immersed in all aspects of the state. Politics. People. Issues. It’s enterprise journalism that no one else is doing.”
In a letter to acting FCC chairwoman Mignon Clyburn, Pallone wrote, “WWOR has failed for over a decade to live up to its broadcasting obligations to New Jersey. In addition, since purchasing WWOR in 2001, News Corporation, now 21st Century Fox, has done everything they can to avoid any commitment to serve as a truly New Jersey station.” Read more
WFTC, Fox’s MyNetworkTV affiliate in Minneapolis-St. Paul, is launching a locally produced entertainment and pop culture show next month. “On The Fly” will air weeknights at 11 p.m. and will re-air at 8 a.m. the following morning.
The show will be hosted by former Minneapolis radio personality Tony Fly (pictured), former radio producer Dan Edwards and KMSP-WFTC traffic reporter Kelsey Soby. The first show is slated for July 22.
“‘On The Fly’ showcases the humor and spontaneity of a radio talk show with the visual impact of television. The ensemble of Tony, Kelsey, and Dan will provide unique commentary on the big talkers of the day,” KMSP-WFTC vice president and general manager Carol Rueppel said in a statement.
New Orleans CBS affiliate WWL has announced, starting Monday, it will no longer produce the 9:00 pm. newscast airing on sister station MyNetworkTV affiliate WUPL. In its place, the station plans to launch a show called “The 504″ an interview show featuring WWL morning anchor Melanie Hebert.
“We’re just excited to try something new and do some longer-form interview segments,” WWL news director Bill Siegel told the New Orleans Times-Picayune. “I think with the kind of elections we have and the number of elections we have, it will be really valuable to have a lot of different candidates come and talk about issues and try to do some debate-style things that we couldn’t really do during regular newscasts.”
According to the Times-Picayune, the WUPL 9:00 p.m. news was one of the lowest rated newscasts in any time slot during February’s book, averaging a 1.1 rating. One rating point in the New Orleans market equals roughly 6,400 homes. Read more
“We are thrilled that we can tap such phenomenal internal talent for these important leadership positions at our newest TV brands,” said CMG’s executive vice president of broadcast Bill Hoffman. “Greg and Suzanne will play pivotal roles in leading the professionals at KOKI-TV and KMYT-TV to continue informing, inspiring, entertaining and improving the Tulsa community.”
Bilte comes from CMG’s San Francisco Bay Area station KTVU where he was the director of sales for KTVU, KICU and KTVU.com. He has also worked at KXLY in Spokane, WA, TeleRep and KTTV in Los Angeles. Read more
“We are excited to have Terry re-join the Company,” said Steve Marks, chief operating officer of Sinclair Television Group. “He is familiar with the stations, having served as their General Manager years ago. We believe his knowledge of the Milwaukee community can only help to advance meeting their needs.”
Gaughan worked at Sinclair in various roles from 1992 to 1998 including general manager of WVTV and WCGV. He was most recently vice president of national sales at Univision.
“I am delighted to be back in Milwaukee and at WCGV and WVTV,” said Gaughan in a statement. “I believe that there is much the stations have to offer the local community, and I look forward to working with the staff to achieve that goal.”
WPWR, the Fox-owned MyNetworkTV affiliate in Chicago, will be the official television broadcast partner of the Chicago Fire Soccer Club for the 2013 season.
“The Fire is coming off a successful 2012 season and we are looking forward to providing our viewers all the live action throughout the coming season. Partnering with the Fire is just another example of My50’s commitment to bringing appointment local programming to Chicago area viewers,” WPWR-WFLD general manager Dennis Welsh said in a statement.