Mediabistro Self-Paced Courses: Learning for the independent-minded. No teachers, no fellow students. Just a rich multimedia curriculum designed to teach you what you need to know.
In this follow-up to our Copy Editing self-paced course, learn the finer points of copy editing to land more work and command higher rates. You'll learn how to expertly recast sentences, create an in-house style guide, and handle permissions and other legal concerns when copy editing. We'll also show you how to launch your own copy editing business and negotiate bids for work.
In this class, you will learn how to:
- Create and maintain style sheets and in-house style guides
- Edit front and back matter for book projects
- Understand the rules and reasoning behind your grammar corrections
- Understand expository style -- how and when to recast sentences
- Consider permissions and legal concerns -- when to flag for libel, fair use, or incorrect terminology
The self-paced course includes:
- A video introduction with Mediabistro copy editing instructor Cheryl Della Pietra
- 5 written lessons
- 3 video tutorial lessons and crib sheets
- 8 assignments and answer keys
- 2 copy tests with style sheets and answer keys
- 3 supplemental videos on grammar and line editing
By the end of this course, you will have:
Experience copy editing with AP Style, The Chicago Manual of Style, in-house style guides, and style sheets. Plus, you'll gain an understanding of additional responsibilities that go along with copy editing, such as managing permissions and legal concerns.
How the self-paced classroom works:
- You have access to the course platform for three months. Please note, if you sign up after 6 pm ET Monday-Friday, your email invitation will be sent the following business day.
- Mediabistro's education team is available to answer your questions.
- There are no other students and no instructor. Students are invited to post comments on our community forum of media professionals to interact with others in the field.
Cheryl Della Pietra's Courses
Advanced Copy Editing: 8-Session Self-Paced Course
Copy Editing: 12-Session Self-Paced Course
"Cheryl was amazing. Her teaching skills are excellent and she clearly knows her stuff. Very impressive." -- Carol Wallace
"Cheryl is a phenomenal instructor. She shows that it is possible to be a wordsmith with a sense of humor!" -- Shannon Martin, editor & writer, New York Road Runners
"Cheryl's experience is a huge asset, providing us all with valuable practical advice. I would gladly take another course with her." -- Kelle Walsh
"Cheryl is patient and caring. I will definitely take courses with her." -- Michael Maynard
"This class was the shot in the arm that I needed as I tackle new freelance assignments. Cheryl brought real-world experience and answered our various questions with ease and a sharp sense of professionalism." -- Jay Franco
"Cheryl is wonderful! She was extremely thorough and generous sharing her insights into the publishing industry." -- Susan Case
"Cheryl is a direct, witty, and brilliant instructor! Her classes overflow with invaluable content for both entry and seasoned editors." -- Phylencia Taylor
"Cheryl's a real pro! She did an excellent job of boiling the information down to essentials, and is clearly at the top of her game." -- Alison Mundy
"Cheryl united a diversified class with her personable, approachable style and professionalism. Her course content far surpassed my expectations. I've recommended her class to friends and colleagues." -- Katie Sherman
"It was a pleasure to be in Cheryl's class. She knew her material and the industry, and was very supportive." -- Ellen Ryan
"Cheryl was prepared, knowledgeable, professional, engaging, and giving. I would recommend her to anyone. -- Daniel McCourt
"Cheryl has the perfect qualities of an instructor. She knows her stuff, can explain complex ideas in simple terms, and obviously enjoys teaching." -- Joanne Hus
"Cheryl was all I had hoped for -- experienced, serious about the subject matter, and able to present lectures and hold chats with a sense of humor." -- Kimberly Stravers
"For anyone intimidated by the world of copy editing, Cheryl will quickly put you at ease with her keen insight into the field." -- Alvin Blanco
"Taking Cheryl's class was the most worthwhile thing I've done. She was incredibly knowledgeable and helpful and I would recommend her class to anyone at any kind of job -- not just those involved with copy editing." -- Alyssa Bieler