Earlier this year, Twitter celebrated its seventh birthday.
Yep. On March 21st, 2006, Twitter was launched (it opened its doors to the public a few months later) and never looked back. Less than a decade later, hundreds of millions of users send billions of tweets around the world, and Twitter has established itself as an increasingly important platform – and source – for breaking news and information.
This infographic from Wishpond lists 20 amazing Twitter statistics.*
* Some caveats: Twitter has more than 500 million registered profiles, but about half that many active users (as the infographic goes on to say, but just to be clear). Equally, the U.S. has the most active users (not China). The cost of a Promoted Trend varies by country (it’s based on maximum audience size).
- Twitter Diversity Statistics: 70% Male Globally, 59% White, 29% Asian in U.S. [REPORT]
- Millionaires Love Facebook, Ignore Twitter
- Facebook: 23% of all Social Traffic in June (Pinterest Dips, Twitter Flat at 1%) [STATS]
- Pinterest, Tumblr Drive More Website Traffic Than Twitter, Says StatCounter [STATS]