Earlier this year, Twitter celebrated its seventh birthday.
Yep. On March 21st, 2006, Twitter was launched (it opened its doors to the public a few months later) and never looked back. Less than a decade later, hundreds of millions of users send billions of tweets around the world, and Twitter has established itself as an increasingly important platform – and source – for breaking news and information.
This infographic from Wishpond lists 20 amazing Twitter statistics.*
* Some caveats: Twitter has more than 500 million registered profiles, but about half that many active users (as the infographic goes on to say, but just to be clear). Equally, the U.S. has the most active users (not China). The cost of a Promoted Trend varies by country (it’s based on maximum audience size).
- New York Fashion Week on Twitter: More Than 1.2 Million Tweets About #NYFW
- Twitter: More Than 2.4 Million Tweets About #AppleLive (Peaking at 32,305 TPM)
- 5 Crazy Ways Social Media is Changing Your Brain Right Now
- 81.9% of Social Shares Happen on Facebook (Twitter: 8.6%, Pinterest: 3%) [STUDY]