Earlier this year, Twitter celebrated its seventh birthday.
Yep. On March 21st, 2006, Twitter was launched (it opened its doors to the public a few months later) and never looked back. Less than a decade later, hundreds of millions of users send billions of tweets around the world, and Twitter has established itself as an increasingly important platform – and source – for breaking news and information.
This infographic from Wishpond lists 20 amazing Twitter statistics.*
* Some caveats: Twitter has more than 500 million registered profiles, but about half that many active users (as the infographic goes on to say, but just to be clear). Equally, the U.S. has the most active users (not China). The cost of a Promoted Trend varies by country (it’s based on maximum audience size).
- 74% use Social Networks in China (With 12% on Banned Twitter) [STATS]
- Twitter at the #Emmys: 1.1 Million Tweets, Seth Myers, Breaking Bad Dominate Conversion [STATS]
- The @MTV #VMAs on Twitter: 12.6 Million Tweets, 138,792 Tweets Per Minute Peak [STATS]
- The Top 25 Mobile Apps (Twitter is 14th, Behind Yahoo Weather) [STATS]