Global digital agency We Are Social‘s new 183-page, insight-packed report on the key social, digital, and mobile stats from around the world illustrates just how far-reaching social media is in 2014.
Given that there are 2.5 billion+ global Internet users today – an incredible 35% of the world’s population – plus 1.9 billion social networks users on the planet, Twitter’s, and other social networks’, increasing penetration worldwide is unsurprising, but impressive.
A handful of major takeaways from the packed report:
- Social is more mobile than ever. Almost three quarters of Facebook’s 1.2 billion monthly active users around the world access the platform through mobile, and on any given day almost half of its users are mobile only. Twitter is also increasingly a mobile-dominated platform, and apps like WhatsApp, WeChat, and SnapChat are totally mobile-dependent.
- Worldwide, Twitter clocks in above Tumblr and China’s Tencent Weibo, but below LinkedIn and significantly below Facebook.
- The average amount of time spent per day on social media varies widely by country, with Argentina coming in at the top (an average of 4.3 hours per day), nearly double the U.S. (2.3 hours per day).
- Despite its increasing ubiquity, social media penetration remains unevenly distributed around the world.
Check out We Are Social’s full 183-page deck at your browsing leisure.
- The 20 Most Popular Brands on #Twitter
- The Top 10 Most Popular #Football Teams On Twitter
- The 10 Most Popular People on Twitter [STATS]
- Twitter's User Growth is The Lowest it's Ever Been