Britney Spears (@britneyspears) has become the latest Twitter user to reach 10 million followers, passing the total on Friday.
Spears joins Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber, President Barack Obama, Katy Perry and Kim Kardashian as the sixth human, fourth woman and third female musical artist to become a member of Twitter’s 10 million club.
Spears took 53 days to move from 9 to 10 million followers.
Shakira, who recently moved above 9 million followers, should be the next person to reach the eight-figure mark. Twitter’s most-followed members list continues to skew heavily towards female celebrities – seven of the top 10 are women.
At the time of writing, Twitter’s top-ten most followed users are:
- Lady Gaga (@ladygaga, 14,381,470)
- Justin Bieber (@justinbieber, 13,309,185)
- Barack Obama (@barackobama, 10,675,468)
- Katy Perry (@katyperry, 10,481,994)
- Kim Kardashian (@kimkardashian, 10,307,959)
- Britney Spears (@britneyspears, 10,099,290)
- Shakira (@shakira, 9,088,877)
- Taylor Swift (@taylorswift13, 8,415,223)
- Rihanna (@rihanna, 8,223,280)
- Ashton Kutcher (@aplusk, @7,908,888)
Ashton Kutcher, who was the first Twitter user to reach one million followers, likely won’t be in the top 10 for much longer – Ellen Degeneres, Oprah Winfrey and Selena Gomez should all pass him in the next month or two.
- George Clooney: I Don't Tweet Because I Like To Have A Drink At Night
- Celebrities And Fans Pay Tribute To Uncle Phil On Twitter
- Justin Bieber Announces Retirement On Christmas Eve Via Twitter
- Katy Perry, One Direction, Kanye West: Best Of Music On Twitter In 2013